Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not claiming that this is true for all people, but I think it could be for many.

When you're shy, what do you feel?
Yes, I feel afraid that I'll say the wrong thing, or afraid that people won't like what I say or do.

But MOST OF ALL, I'm afraid that I'll be shy.

When we experience social anxiety, we get that fear response, where we can't think straight, we can't think of what to say (our mind goes blank), we say or do stupid things because we're so nervous........

If you didn't have that fear response at all, would you still do or say those stupid things that you regret after?

SO my theory is that, a lot of us are shy, because we're afraid that we'll feel shy. We're afraid that we'll feel totally afraid, and that people will see that we're shy, and so they'll think we're a fool, and that we'll say something stupid, or maybe we won't say anything at all.

All shyness really means, is being afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing that will make people not like us or not value us.

But on top of that, we add Fear of being shy, and that just multiplies this problem by 100.

WHat do you all think?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not claiming that this is true for all people, but I think it could be for many.

When you're shy, what do you feel?
Yes, I feel afraid that I'll say the wrong thing, or afraid that people won't like what I say or do.

But MOST OF ALL, I'm afraid that I'll be shy.

When we experience social anxiety, we get that fear response, where we can't think straight, we can't think of what to say (our mind goes blank), we say or do stupid things because we're so nervous........

If you didn't have that fear response at all, would you still do or say those stupid things that you regret after?

SO my theory is that, a lot of us are shy, because we're afraid that we'll feel shy. We're afraid that we'll feel totally afraid, and that people will see that we're shy, and so they'll think we're a fool, and that we'll say something stupid, or maybe we won't say anything at all.

All shyness really means, is being afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing that will make people not like us or not value us.

But on top of that, we add Fear of being shy, and that just multiplies this problem by 100.

WHat do you all think?
Its a pretty fine theory. Maybe you could write a paper about this? get a phd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well , I have read that shyness comes from excessive self-conceit.

"Do you know what that nervousness of yours proceeds from?" said Dubkoff in a protecting sort of tone, "D'un exces d'amour propre, mon cher."

Not that it has anything to do with what youre saying , but it came to my mind :)

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
I think your theory is right. I believe that's what agoraphobia is? I remember hearing that agoraphobia is actually the fear of being afraid. So I guess SA and agoraphobia are pretty interchangeable. I guess you can say SA is a specific type of agoraphobia. Specifically we're afraid of being afraid in social situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts