Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot about this on the board. What is it exactly? I think I may have had it as a kid, but no one ever seemed interested in helping me, so I was never diagnosed with anything!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
selective mutism

Wow I think I had this as a kid, and it says it only affects one percent of the population!

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
quoth Gumaro:

that sounds like SA. why do they have so many different diagnosis for symptoms that are the same?
Don't know... maybe different disciplines (psychiatry vs. speech pathology) with their own approaches to the same problem....? I could be wrong.

I remember teachers in elementary school frequently commenting to my mother about the fact I hardly ever spoke..

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
My elementary school teacher had me start seeing the school psychologist because apparently I didn't talk.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It overlaps with SA but it is not the same thing.

Many terms overlap. "Red" and "crimson" are not the same, but there are cases where they can be applied to the same color. "Social Anxiety Disorder" and "Selective Mutism" are not the same, but some manifestations of SA are the symptoms of SM, and SM is almost always a subset or co-occurance with SA. By the way these are both DSM diagnoses, the field of Speech Path doesn't have its own diagnostic codes. We piggyback them from codes used in medicine, educational psychology and in schools. :)

SM is often marked by a complete refusal to say anything whatsoever in certain social contexts, whereas with SAers you can usually coax some words if you ask a question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I used to have that. I would talk on the school playground but when we went back in class, I would only talk when I had to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Selective Mutism is technically a childhood anxiety disorder. It is also a relatively "new" disorder. When most of us were kids, this "didn't exist." It isn't so much a refusal to speak as it is an inability to speak.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had that as well. I just was waaay too shy to ever talk in class, i could speak sometimes, but most of the time i just never said a word.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my mom tells me that when i was younger i used to totally ignore people when they spoke to me. i would not respond to what they asked or commented on. i grew out of that but i'm pretty sure it was connected to being afraid to talk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had it all the way through high school and then some. In elementary school I can remember dreading recess, because if I couldn't get a swing, where I could be alone in my own head, then I stood alone by the fence until it was time to go in. I hated gym because of "picking teams." It made me feel to exposed. The classroom was better because it was more controlled, and there was less time when talking was allowed. I would answer questions if the teacher asked me directly, but I would never raise my hand and volunteer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts