Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't think he will take me seriously.. i am 17 and it is ruining my life, i can't perform well in college because of SA.. it's horrible.. i wanna get help from my GP, but i don't know if there is any point?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
You indicate you're in the UK, so I don't know what's standard practice over there other than I'm sure you're not getting benzos.

In the US if one went to their GP with that complaint they'd likely get a few simple questions about their anxiety and be handed a prescription (and likely some free samples) for an SSRI and sent on their way all within five minutes.

·
Banned
506 Posts
I'm in the UK too.

Go to your GP, tell him *everything*. Chances are he will prescribe you a medication - most often Citalopram (an SSRI), unless you are also suffering depression or another problem. He will also probably refer you for an assessment with a psychiatrist, and most likely outpatient treatment.

My experience is, sadly, that the NHS don't take social phobia very seriously, unless there are also depressive symptoms. Course, that's just my experience, it might be better now - and probably is, what with more CBT resources available for outpatients.

·
Registered
423 Posts
After a few weeks on mirtazapine my GP gave me diazepam, unfortunately there is a 20 week waiting time for CBT and getting referred to a psychiatrist is next to impossible on the nhs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
After a few weeks on mirtazapine my GP gave me diazepam, unfortunately there is a 20 week waiting time for CBT and getting referred to a psychiatrist is next to impossible on the nhs.
Yeah, but the fact that you have universal health care should quell everything, amiright? :yes

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't believe the polarity of opinion regarding benzos in the US and UK.

I've been thrown 80 Xanax a month since telling my doctor of my "panic attacks". I'm thankful he's giving me what I want, but had I not known so much about benzoes, I'd probably have a crazy tolerance by now with withdrawal looming over my head. But regardless, when you feel suicidal because of how crimpling your SA is, I would trade addiction and withdrawal for anything to ameliorate my SA...the UK just doesn't seem to understand this (from what I've heard anecdotally).

Anyway, yes you will get an SSRI. It may help. Mine does. But the "aaha" moment that really helped reverse my SA happened on an LSD/meth binge...seriously.:yes

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
My GP was an a**. He wanted me to take a bunch of blood tests and talk to a psychologist, and have the psychologist recommend any meds that would benefit me if needed.

Instead, I just went to a psychiatrist and he pretty much said heres whats available, and explained what each ssri/benzo did and said i could either choose what i thought would work best, or he could recommend a combination, which I had him do. Its been about 3 weeks now, but not impressed and haven't felt much difference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, but the fact that you have universal health care should quell everything, amiright? :yes
The funny thing is that on the NHS diazepam actually costs more than it does privately. I can actually afford private healthcare but I can't find any psychiatrists in my city.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts