Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else notice or get this?

It's almost like for the most part when I'm not on an SSRI, when I drink caffeine, or alcohol, eat lots of sugar, or take activating/stimulating meds there is always a crash. But when on an SSRI it blocks the crashes completely and everything stays smooth.

It's probably the main thing I like about taking an SSRI. But I'm wondering why this is and if there is another way to achieve this from a different kind of med or something else other than an SSRI.

What do you guys think? Anyone else relate?

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Probably has to do with the extra serotonin in your brain from the SSRI.

·
4,175 Posts
SSRI's keep your baseline serotonin levels elevated, and typically have a long half-life, so even if you lose some serotonin and dopamine through the use of alcohol, caffeine, etc., you still have your SSRI to act as a cushion.

This explanation is simplified and may not be entirely accurate, but close enough.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should mention I'm referring to an energy crash.

Anytime I do any of those things when I'm not on the drug whenever it wears offs I'm left with a feeling of being burned out/drained/exhausted to the bone. Even just a couple cups of coffee, or a couple beers. A couple hours later it will hit me. But when taking an SSRI that doesn't happen, I can eat, drink, do anything and everything always is all good and smooth.

Maybe this is something I'm just easily overlooking but I never thought of serotonin to be one to help with energy, or am I missing something.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Serotonin is what you could call a 'cover up' neurotransmitter so that makes sense. They are used by athletes to not feel the effects of hard or overtraining as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts