Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AOL Screen Name and use AOL instant message. I have a box popped up on my screen that says I have a Knock Knock message from ICQ number 123456789. I went to the ICQ.com page and tried to find out who this person is from the number but they have no profile. I have no idea who this person is. If I Accept this message, will this person somehow get access to my passwords and mail, etc.? I don't talk to anyone on AOL Instant Message except a girl I work with. We use AOL when our inter-company messaging system goes down. I know its not her. So how could this person sending me an ICQ even have gotten my AOL screen name?

·
Registered
53 Posts
ICQ is another Instant Messaging service, much like AIM, the program you use. Recently, AIM and ICQ have become compatable.

It's not uncommon to recieve messages from people you have never met. More likely than not, it is a bot that simply wants to send you a link to a website. It is safe to open the message and read what they have to say, but if you are not interested, don't accept.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Is 123456789 the real ICQ number? It could be spam, when I used ICQ I used to get a lot of messages from randoms but the message would just be a link for me to go to some site. :stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deadxdisco said:
Is 123456789 the real ICQ number? It could be spam, when I used ICQ I used to get a lot of messages from randoms but the message would just be a link for me to go to some site. :stu
No, that wasn't their real number. I just typed the number like that cause I was typing fast. :lol

Thanks! I did Accept it to see who it was and you are right, it was spam! I had never gotten that before and I was dying to see who it was. I thought maybe it was someone from a message board I post at, which is only this one and one other one. At least I know now its okay to Accept the message to see who it is, but then just don't respond and don't click on any links.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts