Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hi!
462 Posts
I start hyperventilating. First I start to see white spots, I get really lightheaded, followed by a headache. Then I feel all power slip from my body up to the point where I either go black or manage to get my breath back in order. **** be scary.

My panic attacks could differ a world from yours though.

·
Neither here nor there
798 Posts
I've only had one that I can remember, so it was pretty bad.

I was sitting in class waiting to do a group presentation and I started hyperventilating. It felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest. I started sweating, felt nauseous, and just wanted to lay down. The last thing I wanted to do was talk.

I'm sure my face was turning red too.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Ha, I wish I asked this a while ago. I saw the Hollywood-ized versions and assumed what I experienced was merely severe anxiety. Not so. Apparently a panic attack is an onslaught of panic symptoms that have no apparent cause and lasts for roughly twenty minutes. My chest feels tight, I may have a little trouble breathing, I'll feel light headed and dizzy, very nauseous, and I most certainly can't think straight. In severe cases I'll faint. It's different for everyone. But it starts out of the blue and doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Always starts for me with this strange sensation that's almost impossible to put into words. I don't think it can be described as a physical symptom itself, it's like a foreknowledge of symptoms to come. It's just a feeling that everything's a little "off", and I know things are about to get bad.

Then my breathing becomes irregular. I hyperventilate. I get really light-headed and start feeling nauseous. I always feel like I'm about to pass out, though that's only happened maybe a half-dozen times.

The worst part - by far, the most uncomfortable - is the heart palpitations. There's this irrational feeling that I'm going to have a heart attack and drop dead; even though I've felt my heart racing a million times in the past, every new panic attack brings on the feeling that, "This is it. This is the one that's going to kill me". Sometimes, when it's really intense, I start crying, but I find myself unable to articulate anything that's going on to people around me. I can't really talk.

And when it's all over, I feel absolutely exhausted. I'm just drained.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
I think I've only experienced a panic attack once. All the other times have been anxiety attacks.

I was about to read a letter out in front of the class. My teacher knew that I had problems speaking but he encouraged me to read it anyways because it was part of the project we did. I started hyperventilating. My vision started to go black & I thought I was gonna die. I thought I was gonna faint. I told my teacher that I was having a panic attack & needed to leave as my vision of him was fading to black. He let me go - no questions asked. I must have looked like I was physically dying.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My primary diagnosis is panic disorder so they happen weekly for me. : /

I JUST finished one and am in recovery zombie mode so I thought of this thread and thought I'd record the symptoms while they're fresh. My brain has a tendency to erase the experience from my mind for the most part.

At first I felt distant, somewhat in derealization mode which is normal for me but heightened. Then I started feeling nauseous, then, "Wow, okay I'm about to throw up in front of Brendan, time to excuse myself from this room!" and just lay on my bed trying to breathe regularly and properly to ease the symptoms. The heart palpitations were nuts which is not normal for me. Nor is the severe nausea. But it was over in 12 minutes. And now I'm exhausted with a mild headache.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Heart palpitations.
Hot flash
heat beats heavy
shallow breathing
fight or flight

·
Registered
530 Posts
My panic attacks usually consist of sweating hands, racing heartbeat, feeling of nausea, unable to talk properly or at all, and everything starts trembling especially my hands and legs.

In the situations where I'm being rushed... I actually feel like I'm about to piss myself.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I get tunnel vision, can't hear anything over the ringing in my ears, heart starts to beat wildly, squeezing sensation in the chest, sweating, confusion, dizziness, nausea, trembling and tingling in the extremities.

It feels like I don't know whether I'm going to drop dead, vomit my insides, or faint.

·
Julia Cinnabun
301 Posts
I don't think I really had a *real* one, because I don't feel like I'm going to *die*; but I've had experiences of particularly elevated heart rate accompanied by blurry vision and dizziness.

A couple of these times I was talking to someone I used to be comfortable with, but now I'm a little nervous around him; but not to the point where I avoid him, I actually want to and can talk to him and I've done it during this.

The first time I felt like I didn't seem as nervous to him as I really felt. But the second time I'm sure I looked nervous.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
^ I don't know if it's the same exact thing, but I think I know what you're talking about. The "shakes" during the event are different than after, at least for me.

The only way I know how to describe the after trembles is when you've been outside in the freezing cold, come inside, and despite layers of blankets, hot tea, sitting next to a fire, you still find yourself shaking hours afterward. You don't feel cold, but the rattling/fluttery kind of trembling in the chest doesn't go away. I don't know if that's the same thing as what you've experienced, though.

·
Harvestor Of Sorrow
5,727 Posts
For me my heart starts to beat really fast. Then I begin to sweat and I'm pretty sure my face gets flush as well. I have trouble speaking when I get a panic attack, and I feal like I'm about to lose my breath. I guess it's because I'm hyperventilating. But it's a terrible experience because when I get them, my life immediately becomes so dreaded with fear and total bleakness that I fear that something terrible is going to happen. I guess it's just my mind reacting to the physical symptoms. If you put me in front of a class to do an oral presentation, I would get an immediate panic attack. In fact, I have dropped several courses in university simply because I found out that I had to do oral presentations.

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
Mines consist of a fast heart and pulse rate, a rush of adrenaline in my head, hot flashes, shallow breathing, and trembling/twitching. I only get mines if I have a high rate of anxiety or drink too much caffeine; they definitely get bad if I drink more than 1 can of soda.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
My heart races and my thoughts get jumbled, and by the time I talk to them, my sentences come racing out so fast that they don't understand me.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
my panic attacks are ****ed up...i get cotton mouth, I feel like im in a dream, I get insanely paranoid, and i get some kind of visual overload where ****in lights flash in my eyes...hardly ever happens though. Only in school

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pretty sure I had two a few weeks ago. My therapist even said they sounded like panic attacks. I basically just started crying hysterically, felt numb in certain parts of my body, felt sooo alone, felt like something was closing in on me. I almost thought I was going to have a heart attack or that I was going to drop dead of some physical condition in that moment. I had never experienced a panic attack before then, and I haven't experienced one since.

·
Iam building a religion
2,834 Posts
like drowning

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.