Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story semi-short: I was hired at McDonald's a number of weeks ago but I quit after the first day. My anxiety had a lot to do with it but the staff was also very unprofessional and gave me zero training before sending me out on the register alone.. I had no clue what I was doing and customers were being rude, which was hard to handle because I'm a pretty sensitive person. If I had known that I wouldn't be receiving any training I wouldn't have applied. I shouldn't have considered fast food as an option because it doesn't even appeal to me in the first place but I was desperate for a job and my friend was nice enough to help me get hired. Although it may not sound that bad to some, it was a horrible experience for me and it has made me even more nervous about getting another job. I am in my second semester of college, I have zero work experience and I will only be able to work part-time.
I'm in need of some advice and I have no idea as to where to apply to next.. Where would you recommend? What is the "best" place for a college student with social anxiety to work at?

Thank you and I hope your responses to my post can help other people too. :b (And sorry if this post is in the wrong section! I am brand new to this website.)

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Pricing coordinator at a retail store. It's a relatively low stress management position and it opens doors to many other positions since you have to have a general knowledge of everyone else's job.

I also highly recommend not quitting a job because you're anxious. Challenge your anxiety as much as you possibly can. The skills you will learn while working a job that involves having to deal with people in tense situations will become extremely valuable to you in the long run.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
I was a custodian during the summer once. It was alright. I mostly liked it because it was just me and two other people I was working with and they were nice enough.

·
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
3,947 Posts
My first job was in housekeeping at a resort. Just vacuumed/dusted hallways, shampooed carpets, folded bath towels, hauled dirty laundry, stocked housekeeping carts, stocked linen rooms. There wasn't much anxiety associated with that...it was actually a blast working there! I started in high school and worked there through my first couple of semesters of college. Not much customer contact at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first job was in housekeeping at a resort. Just vacuumed/dusted hallways, shampooed carpets, folded bath towels, hauled dirty laundry, stocked housekeeping carts, stocked linen rooms. There wasn't much anxiety associated with that...it was actually a blast working there! I started in high school and worked there through my first couple of semesters of college. Not much customer contact at all.
I've actually been looking into housekeeping myself but most applications say it's "preferable" that you have experience. They didn't expect that from you being your first job?

·
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
3,947 Posts
I've actually been looking into housekeeping myself but most applications say it's "preferable" that you have experience. They didn't expect that from you being your first job?
Nah. When I started, it was mostly high-schoolers my age working there. They didn't mind taking the time to train (not that there was a whole lot to teach).

I think every job 'prefers' experience, if ya think about it. With people who have done the job before, the company wouldn't have to put as many resources towards training. Don't let that stop you!!! If they like you, they'll hire you...experience or not! If every job hired only 'experienced' people, there would never be any new people entering the workforce. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts