Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a hypothetical (but serious) question:

I will be going for a medication evaluation soon, and am dreading getting the run-around with medications that aren't even remotely effective treating SA, PD, and GAD.

I'm wondering, does anyone have the experience of finding out that it's NOT a chemical imbalance, and thus, medication is less useful? --At least, the SSRI/SNRI/AD's out there so commonly prescribed.

And I guess as a tag-along question: if it is an illness caused by stress, or negative experiences, what works? Can CBT address it? Has group therapy worked for a number of you?
What about a med/therapy combination?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just thinking that myself! I'm on and off about it being an in-balance but wanted somehting to help. If a negative comes back on that, then CBT was my next step, or vise versa. Good luck, I think time and commitment with CBT would be the next step

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
My social anxiety was caused by repeated bad experiences trying to socialize when I was younger, and my depression is a result of feeling lonely/rejected, so I've always known there's no direct chemical imbalance to blame for my mental issues. This was confirmed when they tried at least eight different meds on me (including two SSRIs, a benzo, at least one antipsychotic, a stimulant, etc.)...and none of them did anything to help me. :( I kept telling the therapists why this was so, why medication won't help with anxiety that's a learned reaction to negative experiences, but they kept insisting that perhaps the meds could help treat symptoms rather than the underlying disorder...I didn't even achieve that benefit.

Therapy, unfortunately, didn't help me either...my case was just so bad they didn't have enough resources to continue treating me and had to cut me loose. In the end I was told to just feel fortunate I'm not as poorly off as many other people are, and to be grateful for that since I have little reason to be depressed (never mind that I'm still painfully lonely).

So sometimes, meds won't help, especially not if the anxiety and depression are learned and not chemical imbalances. That being said...if you're willing to give meds a shot, you should still try, because who knows? :stu I also urge you to try out therapy too because your experience might be better and/or maybe they'll try out a more concrete and beneficial method for you. My experience was with a low-income/Medicaid mental health clinic, so perhaps if I'd had access to better therapy I might've improved a bit more. One never knows until they try.

(Group therapy was never an option for me...none available for anxiety, and the depression group was full so I couldn't join.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts