Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
I would say the internet. It's been detrimental in some ways but probably beneficial in more ways than it's been detrimental.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably bicycling, which falls in pretty much the same category as walking, which OP mentioned.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yoga. The focus on breathing and movement takes my mind off things. The fact that everyone keeps themselves to themselves and it's a nice relaxing and quiet environment helps. 😌

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
I don't know if most would consider it a hobby but listening to music with soothing melodies on headphones really takes the edge off of life for me. Mostly I don't even need music with words because I can't think of a single song that I started listening to because of the lyrics. It's all about the melody (and sometimes the cadence and the flow). It took me so many years to realize most of the songs that are stuck in my brain have lyrics that are totally irrelevant to me and my brain has always just heard the music.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Running, walking, doing activities with my dog, interior decorating, stuff that spurns my creativity, alcohol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The best hobby has been working out. Working towards a goal and seeing that progress; looking after my body better; getting out of the house; having new reading material; a hobby that others were interested to know about, and sometimes even join in with. Not to mention all the physical and mental benefits that it does for you! x

·
bipolar
17,423 Posts
The only thing I do that I really think of as a hobby is collecting rare books. I guess that's helped a bit - I get a lot of pleasure from it. I can't always do it though if I'm not feeling well. It certainly benefits me financially sometimes when I sell.

Other than that I suppose listening to music, watching movies or TV shows I enjoy. They're relaxing and distract me from how I'm feeling.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I also like walking and hiking when I can do. Haven't done hiking in a long while but I've been doing more walking recently due to become the unofficial dog walker for my family's dog.

I think something that's really helped me is getting involved in my niche software community. I've been able to help some people and it's given me more motivation to continue learning.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
I don't know if most would consider it a hobby but listening to music with soothing melodies on headphones really takes the edge off of life for me. Mostly I don't even need music with words because I can't think of a single song that I started listening to because of the lyrics. It's all about the melody (and sometimes the cadence and the flow). It took me so many years to realize most of the songs that are stuck in my brain have lyrics that are totally irrelevant to me and my brain has always just heard the music.

Somewhat related to this - I have always had a bit of a fascination with headphones but my actual "relationship" with them didn't really start until I was about 15. There was a girl I went to school with who had one of the early cassette Walkmans. Which I now know was not just any Walkman but one of the really good Sony models. Sony eventually ended up churning out a lot of inferior ones (which were the ones I owned). I specifically remember that her Walkman had auto-reverse, which made it far superior to any portable tape player I ever owned.

Anyway, she let me listen to a few songs on it and I knew I had to have one. When I eventually got one, it came with a set of headphones sort of like these...

Needless to say, I found them lacking in sound quality. :LOL:

But....it was what I had and my parents weren't big on spending money on me if they didn't have to. They kind of had sticker shock from the prices of anything electronic because the era they grew up in, that amount of money was a lot and they just didn't see the appeal.

Anyway, I have never really owned any set of headphones that cost more than about $60 so I'm fairly low end.

Anyway, as I have started dabbling in the world of heaphones that isolate and block out more and more of the outside sounds, I'm starting to realize just how big a part "noise" plays in my assorted anxiety and anger issues. Like I get super irritated by unwanted noise but even things I never noticed, like just normal sounds, I notice that I am much calmer and more relaxed when I block them out entirely.

Like I have this one set of earbuds that come with the noise blocking foam tips. If I put them in and wear them all day (even when not listening to music) I am so much more relaxed and focused on things I want to focus on.

Of course it doesn't take much really obnoxious noise to cause me to be really agitated. Like the neighbors. When they are making a lot of noise, I definitely realize that unwanted noise has a major impact on my state of mind. But I never really noticed that even the sound of a relatively quiet room grates on my nerves at a sort of subconscious level.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts