Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
yeah also walking. yoga. meditation. probably board games currently because its the main source of social interaction.

·
(.*?)
6,823 Posts
I picked up the board games hobby specifically to socialize. For all the times when I can't socialize (like the past year), couldn't stay sane without hiking. Audio drama acting has helped me keep my voice in shape and remind me that I have one for the long months between verbal conversations. Writing fiction has helped me feel alive and adventurous without being able to do anything.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
All are important in their own way.

I have some friends from martial arts who are important to me. It's also something that I can set goals in. (social life, goal setting)
Running/bike runs/walking give me time to think and go through my thoughts. (stress, relaxing, mental work)

·
customusertitle
967 Posts
walking does help. It's hard to stick to the habbit though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Working out. Setting goals and achieving them, feeling more confident, socializing a little at the gym, and stepping out of my comfort zone doing competitions. Many benefits.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,854 Posts
Writing. Just the act of writing about how I'm feeling or what's on my mind helps get it out of my head and eases the feelings. Then being able to share it to people over the phone...in person eventually...helps me in taking overcoming the rest of my social anxiety even further and improves my confidence/self-esteem from all the compliments and just feeling good about myself for doing something that I find nerve wracking.

Meditation, when I actually do it, finding a calm peace of mind and present contentment.

I like hiking and taking pictures with my phone...really anything in nature. It just soothes the soul. But I haven't been out in nature for quite a while now...partly because it's something I like to do with another person.

·
banana enthusiast
7,084 Posts
Walking which I've been doing regularly for the last more than 10 years, but that has also evolved into a general hobby of urban exploration (which I also do on a bike). I initially starting walking so that I would just get out of the house and be around people, which helped me be more comfortable being out in public and doing things. That then led me to want to go into some places like restaurants, which got me used to eating alone. Then I started doing things like going to movies by myself, which would have been nervewracking for me previously. I even went to bars by myself a few times, which was a major accomplishment for me. Since then, walking has evolved more into something I do for exercise and to explore the city, rather than an attempt to be around people, but it certainly helped me be comfortable just going out and being comfortable in public. I started caring much less about what I was wearing, how I was walking, how I looked, etc. because of all this time spent out walking. I even started taking a lot of pictures of the stuff around the city, which was unthinkable for me at the beginning. Then when I started biking in addition to walking, I added improving athletic performance to my list of reasons for going outside.

So what started as me walking around on weekend nights so that I would feel like less of a loser turned into an actual hobby and let me conquer certain parts of my social anxiety.

·
bipolar
17,423 Posts
Travelling has been good - and bad, depending on the situation sometimes and my mental health in general. I was able to just relax quite often, met some really nice people etc.

Also looking for rare books. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it because I love them - or finding an unusual bit of ephemera. Even just watching programs or docos about things I'm interested in can help me - it distracts me and gives me something to focus on.

·
Dog in the sun.
451 Posts
Walking which I've been doing regularly for the last more than 10 years, but that has also evolved into a general hobby of urban exploration (which I also do on a bike). I initially starting walking so that I would just get out of the house and be around people, which helped me be more comfortable being out in public and doing things. That then led me to want to go into some places like restaurants, which got me used to eating alone. Then I started doing things like going to movies by myself, which would have been nervewracking for me previously. I even went to bars by myself a few times, which was a major accomplishment for me. Since then, walking has evolved more into something I do for exercise and to explore the city, rather than an attempt to be around people, but it certainly helped me be comfortable just going out and being comfortable in public. I started caring much less about what I was wearing, how I was walking, how I looked, etc. because of all this time spent out walking. I even started taking a lot of pictures of the stuff around the city, which was unthinkable for me at the beginning. Then when I started biking in addition to walking, I added improving athletic performance to my list of reasons for going outside.

So what started as me walking around on weekend nights so that I would feel like less of a loser turned into an actual hobby and let me conquer certain parts of my social anxiety.
That's amazing. Contrats.

I only walk a few blocks to the store a few times a week, and occasionally the beach. I seriously need start going out on the bike at least, both for safe exposure and exercise. Walking is slightly less safe exposure, but I should do it more often and for longer because it is (again, slightly, but to me there's a difference) less safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to run a lot, and that's about the only time I recall not having much social anxiety. I haven't ran for three years, and I have noticed a decline in my mood and mindset. I didn't realise the connection until I was forced to start walking because our car broke down. It was incredible how much my mood changed after just one long walk.

·
drifting in mist
697 Posts
Reading takes me out of myself. Would be hard to pass the days without it. Also add another onto the pile for walking and other exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
SUS Member
10,863 Posts
I've learned some useful ways of thinking and some useful techniques from all my reading in psychology. I probably wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good grasp on this stuff.

Watching movies/reading fiction helps take my mind off my problems. And watching mainstream movies/shows in particular helps me feel some kind of connection with the rest of society, since I really struggle with that. I may not be able to participate in culture directly, but I can maintain a voyeuristic relationship to it.

I enjoy walking, but only if I have somewhere to go. Otherwise it feels pointless. Before the pandemic I was taking 40+ minute walks everyday. But the last few months I've barely walked at all because I can't go to the library, used bookstore, etc.

Modding was my favorite hobby. And I miss it a lot. But I don't have any time for it now. And I'm not sure it was good for my mental health. If I didn't have to work to pay the bills I'd be spending all my time modding instead. I haven't found anything nearly as engaging or satisfying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Animals

I would say walking
I have a huge ranch at my dads house and I have horses. I bring up horses because horses help me a lot! My jumping horse, Blitz, used to be a therapy horse and he loves everyone! Horses are actually really calm animals and it is scientifically proven that being around horses helps people calm down. I am IN LOVE with all my animals. But, yeah! Horses are what helps me calm down. (Technically all animals help me):grin2:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Walking/Running with my dog, nature photography, hiking, use to drive around at night aimlessly, drinking, graphic and visual design, creating fiction, listening to music, interior and ambiance decorating.

Trying to get into meditation and yoga one day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts