Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became a cashier at a major retail store and dealt with people, socialized and had to confront my fears all day long. It really helped until I left the job and than the SA returned in full effect.
ugh where does it end
Just throwing a suggestion out there for everyone!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was a cashier in high school, I think it did give me confidence in interacting w/ strangers in a controlled setting but only while on the register. My coworkers were a different story. Away from the register I spent my time hiding from them and customers. I was so uncomfortable after awhile I quit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a cashier in high school, I think it did give me confidence in interacting w/ strangers in a controlled setting but only while on the register. My coworkers were a different story. Away from the register I spent my time hiding from them and customers. I was so uncomfortable after awhile I quit.
I had the same problem with co workers break time sucked so bad I always ended up sitting outside.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with the OP. Working retail really helped my SA. I'd recommend it for anyone that's shy or has SA. Sure it's hard, but... sometimes you just gotta suck it up!

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
It sucks being a cashier or anything that requires social interaction.

I'm still actively looking for a job right now.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
What helped me more than anything was being away from my home town when I was studying in a university about 5 hours from where I live. I felt so free, like I had started all over again. Right now I work as a stocker but I basically do all types of work there. I do carry outs, bag grocerys, stock, move things around, clean, mop, attend customers, sweep, I mean everything but cashier and meat markert work. I believe it has helped me some, but not enough I would say. Sometimes while I do carry outs, most of the time there are awkward silences between me and the person I am helping. I am always thinking that they see me as someone very shy and quiet. Like I always think they are saying "man that guy is weird".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I worked retail for over two years and I was basically "cured" during that time. I was functioning in other words. I got offered a promotion to manager and turned it down because I didn't want to have to attend out of town meetings because I was scared to do that. But other than that, I interacted with people quite normally during that time and the words SA didn't enter my mind.
When I quit due to moving, it was just a couple of months before the SA was back full force and has been since being unemployed this entire time (7 years).
I'm wondering if its something that ever truly goes away, or, if it's a constant that thrives/wanes depending on the environment you put yourself in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The same thing happened to me with school. During my senior year, the words social anxiety rarely crossed my mind. I felt it with unfamiliar situations (going to the train station alone for a field trip, or doing something I've never done before without sufficient instruction), but for the most part I was alright. I was still quiet, still had negative thoughts, but I was functional. Then, I graduated, and it felt like I was back to square one with the damn thing.

I theorized that, because I had been going to school for 4 years, I was able to cope with my social anxiety in that specific setting and adapt to the point where I could function pretty well. Now that I'm no longer in school, I have to learn and adapt all over again.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
SA happens because of two reasons. your inner thoughts tell you that you are insignificant in some way, causing yourself to feel intimidated by other people who (because of your subconcious negative self talk) seem so much better than you. Thus u feel anxious. Also, you start avoiding situations. The more you avoid them, the more you think of them as intimidating and hard to go through. You can try to tackle your thoughts, but u will still be avoiding situations. you can try to expose yourself, but u will still have negative thoughts. Thats why you have to tackle both in order for SA to truly disappear. CBT tackles both

·
Registered
165 Posts
I worked in a fast food restaurant as cashier. It was okay at first, but i grew too self-aware and quit after a year. My SA got really bad after that (not related to quitting- it had been getting steadily worse) and I stupidly took a job as a cashier in a grocery store. It was hell. One day I just didn't go in. I couldn't. I only worked there a month. Customer after costumer inteeraction after interaction.

I see it as, if you are o medication or have mild SA, take a cashier job. The socialization will do you good. If you (like me) are not on meds yet for severe SA, it's not likely to help. You are just torturing yourself. Get meds, begin therapy, and then try to change your habits, not the other way around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I stuck it out for about 20 working days because I thought that it would get easier. I think that isolating yourself is a bad idea, but if it doesn't get easier after a couple paychecks, for God's sake stop. It only makes it worse. If socialization isn't helping, you need to get meds/therapy. IN my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
609 Posts
^^i agree..i meet and talk to different homeowners and builders every day on my job and i still have SA....im def thinking of going the med route as exercise, confronting the anxiety and all that other stuff just doesnt work as much as i want it to...

i see it like this...CBT helps some people, other people need CBt/meds to be functional, and i know others that have been thru CBT and they currently take meds and are still just barely functional(still pretty much hermits) so i dunno the solution...

·
Dude
604 Posts
It really helped me out too. But the job got really tedious after and I started becoming negative. But i've totally regressed back into my natural state of SA. Seems like to beat SA, you really have to keep at it, no breaks. It's just so easy to relax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the interesting thing that this post highlights is that although meaningless social encounters with strangers, when you are not expected to joke around or make small talk, may not be all that bad, interacting with people that you know and have the potential to be friends still is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts