• Psychiatrist/psychologist

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Medications

Votes: 11 26.8%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
So far, in my case, self help books though that's not to say that input from mental health professionals hasn't also helped me to a certain extent also. Both of these things have, without a doubt, helped me better than the other 2. Though I've still a long way to go before I'm over my problems.

·
Banned
728 Posts
The only thing i haven't tried is "exposure therapy". And i have a bad feeling i will have to do that soon.

Everything else has failed. And i already gave up hope of "getting better".

Thats not to say i could get over social anxiety, i just feel like i will never feel comfortable in society.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
heheh thats right in a way but I dont think that is the kind of way he thought asking this question.

doesnt the paralysis make you feel helpless and thereby you feel pain?
I feel more when I'm around people so its lose-lose for me. Sometimes I'll feel happy for a little while but then the people end up hurting me and I feel even worse then I did before I met them. I guess for most people this isn't the case but I know for me personally having a relationship and even friends only results in eventual pain. The first thing I think of when I wake up is 1 of 8 people, all who've hurt me, any 1 of thems the last thing I think of before I go to bed too, I definatly don't want or need to add a 9th to that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Avoidance because my meds haven't kicked in yet and my psychiatric assessment starts this Friday.

·
Protector of the Den
15,259 Posts
Forced exposure to social situations. I keep upping the level of exposure so that lesser things that once bothered me seem like nothing. Also, the more often you do something, the more desensitized you become to the fear associated with it. I seem to be nearing my current limit. Lately, it seems like I've reached a plateau :(

Attitude is very important with exposure. I had tons of exposure in junior high and high school, but it was what caused most of my SA. In school, I was just trying to survive. It helps if you go in with the attitude that you are doing this to help yourself. You need to consider it a learning experience, even if you fail. It helps if you understand that one lost battle doesn't mean the war is lost. With me, I find it helpful if I try to go beyond the original goal. If you just go with the goal, it seems like you are rushing/doing it half-assed just to get the exposure over with. So, if I was successful with a goal to say hi to five people, I might say hi to another person or two.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
I picked the first 2 but really time is the option I'd pick if it were on there. Over a period of so many years I guess I got a little better on my own. Haven't done or tried anything specific, just as time passed it got a little better. I'll never be over it entirely though. I know for a fact I'll always have anxiety problems. All my life.

·
calm
264 Posts
I feel more when I'm around people so its lose-lose for me. Sometimes I'll feel happy for a little while but then the people end up hurting me and I feel even worse then I did before I met them. I guess for most people this isn't the case but I know for me personally having a relationship and even friends only results in eventual pain. The first thing I think of when I wake up is 1 of 8 people, all who've hurt me, any 1 of thems the last thing I think of before I go to bed too, I definatly don't want or need to add a 9th to that.
there seems a lot of bad people out there in your live.

dont you have the desire for social interaction despite that or did being hurt over and over again make you loose all trust in people?
i personally like to think that people have a reason for being the way they are and not bad by definition.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Interesting question!

I chose medication. Forced exposure to social situations has never really worked for me: the more I try and be social, the worse my anxiety gets. Even if the social situation is successful I don't think positively, I just worry about ruining my streak and my progress by somehow failing the next time.

Meds help me, I think. Even if it just calms me knowing that I'm actively doing something about my anxiety by taking them. I do notice that when I am on meds I have a the courage to try certain things I never would have otherwise (ie: applying for jobs).

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
there seems a lot of bad people out there in your live.

dont you have the desire for social interaction despite that or did being hurt over and over again make you loose all trust in people?
i personally like to think that people have a reason for being the way they are and not bad by definition.
I have no trust in people because its always been betrayed. I keep hoping to make at least an online friend who I could possibly meet that would work hard to earn my trust and be alot like me. Other then chatting online on msn I don't bother much, I kinda keep my online friends at a distance too so as not to get hurt since my last 2 online friendships ended horribly. There isn't any valid reason for why my friends and online exes did what they did either and they are bad people, sadly my father is probably the worst of all though or maybe the best friend I had for 10+ years, its hard to say really. But yea I've given up pretty much, for me this is the solution...I do hope to meet someone as cynical as me though that can kind of be like my best friend or more and be like me and them against the world, but if I don't I guess I can deal with being friendless forever cause it definatly hurts less then making friends and then 6 months later getting betrayed by them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.