Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: whoa I wrote this a long time ago, I did go to a grad beach party and brought a big bottle of whiskey I think ( my dads) and I drank like 1/3 of it and got tipsy and my S/A was gone, I still couldn't go up to someone and strike up a Convo but I didn't care what ppl thought I threw my shirt in the fire and was dancing and made some ppl laugh, I'm desperate for another party, one of the best nights of my life

Im 18 and ive never been drunk before. grads coming up and my friend said that someone said that they want to get me and my bro ( s/a) both drunk. i wanna know what happens with your s/a when you get drunk. i dont wanna break down infront of everyone and let it all out or say something stupid thats on my mind, what happens?

·
Banned
768 Posts
Im 18 and ive never been drunk before. grads coming up and my friend said that someone said that they want to get me and my bro ( s/a) both drunk. i wanna know what happens with your s/a when you get drunk. i dont wanna break down infront of everyone and let it all out or say something stupid thats on my mind, what happens?
Since I haven't drunk much in my time, and rarely do now, I have no tolerance. So usually the alcohol makes me even less social because it tires me out. A few times in college I got so wasted that I lost control, had no ability to socialize or anything, was useless. So, for me, it never did help me to open up. I think I stand a better chance of having a successful conversation when I'm sober.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Honestly it differs from person to person, you get angry drunks, loving drunks, somersault drunks and everything in between. The problem with drinking is that some people can use it to cover up their anxiety and begin abusing it so you really need to be careful with that.

Personally when I'm drunk I am completely SA free, relaxed, outgoing and confident and it's great but my challenge is usually being able to get into the situation where I can drink (ie. pub, club etc) so personally I see drinking quite differently to perhaps the majority of SA sufferers.

But put it this way, you will find out how you feel when you do it, no one here can tell you exactly how you will feel and act.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like the person said above, it really differs.

With me, when i've had a few my "real" side comes out, and I lose any anxiety and put down all invisible barriers. I'm able to socialize, carry on conversations and joke around with people I barely know, and just have a great time. That's probably why all my best memories consist of when alcohol was involved.

Not to say you should medicate with alcohol by any means, but it definitely helps me "take the edge off".

In a lot of cases, some people with SA feel more anxiety when they drink.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Yep, for me as soon as alcohol is mentioned I seem to get more anxious. I seem to find comfort when a mate says he is not drinking on a night out, weird.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I'm drunk I have no SA at all. I kind of wish I could be drunk all the time, I just feel so much better. I'd never actually useit as self-medication, because it's obviously a slippery slope to alcoholism.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
yea im definitly more talkative drunk..i also HATE beer and only drink mixed stuff like jack and cokes, so i even have a hard time at normal parties with just beer. tastes like **** and I feel like puking after every sip

Make them get drunk with you..it's weird if it's just you guys getting drunk. once you and everyone else is drunk you wont care about the repurcussions of saying something, or at least not as much as you would if you were sober

·
Registered
807 Posts
Uncle Al kills my inhibitions. Unfortunately, the release of all that pent up energy makes me go to the opposite extreme and become waaaaaay too friendly and talkative.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
You'd more than likely have no sa as an effect but also be so disinhibited that you explain your sa to others which is embarrassing the next morning. Atleast I've done that on several occasions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i find it easier to be myself when i am drunk.. i have no anxiety and become the life of the party. thats why i love to drink, i know its bad, but i just want to be more outgoing and confident all the time

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
SA? What's that?

Another beer please..

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
I can only speak for myself of course, but alcohol doesn't really make me that much more open. It does reduce my SA, so I don't worry and ponder as much. If I'm having a conversation, I tend to think less about what I say, but when it comes to initiating and making conversation, I'm still just as bad drunk as I'm sober.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Alcohol totally eliminates my SA. I actually was an alcoholic for some time because I used it to self medicate.

If this is your first time drinking then either drink beer or carefully mixed drinks. I have never seen someone get drunk on hard liquor and not embarrass themselves at least somewhat.

Doesn't do much for me. Herb, on the other hand, evaporates my SA completely.
I agree. Alcohol treats my anxiety better but Cannabis allow me to still function well and have much less SA.

Most people dont believe Cannabis helps SA for anyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't drink at all but I have nothing whatsoever against alcohol. Only reason I don't drink is because I honestly don't like the taste. That said, I would imagine that the disadvantage to drinking is that you can't have a few drinks before every social situation ie. work.

'Tis a slippery slope that one, much like medication, which I am currently on.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think for most, their sa goes away, but if you're drunk then you don't have full control of your thought process. If you want to get the best benefits of alcohol then I would suggest to drink until you're buzzed, and then stop. Your sa will be a lot less and you'll still have good control. Unfortunately, I'm going to guess that you're going to end up getting drunk so keep my earlier advice tucked away for some other time. My only advice for you would be to realize when you're drunk and pace yourself so you don't end up blacking out. Be sure to drink water as well.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
I have gotten drunk so many times. I will tell you something, when I drink every one of my friends know I am that type of person who drinks and is calm. I am not the one dancing around, making a show, constantly falling or whatever. People for the most part can't even tell when I am really drunk because I act like a normal person when I am about to pass out. Well anyways, when I am drunk/buzzed I am more expressive and things just come into my mind and I say em as they come. It is like I am the wittiest person who has SAD. It is easier for me to talk to people. One thing that does bother me is that I still can not just go up to a girl and talk to them. If a girl shows interest in me then I will actually give it a go but other than that I won't go for it.

I will tell you what, drinking is bad *** when you do it moderately and in control. I drink to socialize, I don't drink to get stupid (though it happens sometimes). It is a blast to be around people when you are drunk because you feel at times like you have achieved nirvana. Me and my best friend have told each other that we love each other its quite common to hear it every time we get drunk lol.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sometimes drinking helps me be more social. Sometimes it make me isolate and just tires me out. So a combination of everything for me.

Dont use it as a solution to your problems.. I try not too..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I drank alcohol for 15 years and it helped me on a social level but i quit because alcoholism runs in the family and the last few years i was drinking every chance i got. I'd wake up and start but probably should have stopped several years before after alcohol poisoning sent me to the hospital and almost dying, i didn't care though.
I also smoked pot for 17 years, which was way better control wise with no black outs, puking and no hang overs.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts