Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I've been thinking about this recently and for some reason it has really sunk into me. I remember going to roller rinks when I was 12 and younger and really enjoying myself. In fact, I did this alone a lot. I used to ask my mom to just drop me off there on a Friday night and come pick me up when I call or when it's over. Isn't that crazy? I mean, I enjoyed going out roller skating so much I did it on my own and had a blast! I remember going one night and my mom couldn't come pick me up so an officer gave me a ride back home - which was interesting because he preached a whole lot to me like I was a bad kid or something...

Anyways...

I'm 23 now, but what's the difference? Why can't I go to roller rinks, bars, clubs anymore and just enjoy myself? With all the bad stigma bars and clubs are renown for, what's the difference from roller rinks, minus the alcohol? It's almost the same thing. If you are careful and know how to handle yourself around others nothing bad is going to happen. It's just shocking how all of the sudden I feel so much different about these places. Sure, there are people who are going to be stupid-retarded-douche bags but those people are everywhere. Just ignore them and move on and enjoy yourself!

Perhaps I've changed so much during my teens and incorporated so much pain into things that I literally forgot what going out to places to have fun is like? It shouldn't be painful nor disgraceful to want to have a good time at a bar or a club. If you rid yourself of the bad stigma that clubs and bars hold and actually just go and talk with people you may completely ignore that stuff. People are nice generally. Obviously, alcohol alters peoples' actions somewhat but if your not a retard yourself you will not involve yourself in dumb activities like fighting, etc. If there is a fight then you better beat the hell out of someone! (jk) But honestly, although kids don't fight that much in roller rinks there are always ****-talkers and ignorant aggressive jerkoffs wherever you go, so what's the big f'n deal? Enjoy yourself!

Who says you can't have fun at a bar or a club by yourself? Sure, they aren't the nicest places to go in the world, but if you want to mingle and meet people and just enjoy yourself on a Thursday or Friday evening then go and just talk to people! Of course, I do not have SA anymore but I am shy at times, so obviously I've learned to appreciate myself more. Without trying to sound boisterous, SA is in the past for me and it ain't coming back so I think I'm ready to enjoy myself some more!

People often complain about not having fun at these types of places, and so have I more often than not. Obviously, that's because we never wanted to go in the first place! To be honest, the only reason I went was to satisfy other goals besides just enjoying myself, which never ending good. If you go on planning on having fun then go and mingle with people! The reason most of us get bored is because we don't engaged ourselves in conversation and just sit there like logs. Just find a spot to sit, watch the game, sip a cold one, and if anyone is near to you just strike up a convo! Don't worry about looking around to find people; just sit at your spot and enjoy yourself! Some places are too loud to talk and if that's the case then you better be there to dance or just get drunk because conversation is out of the question!

P.S. I've googled this subject and read about how a 40 year old man was dancing on the floor all by himself and people were making fun of him. At first, I read the comment and thought that man must of felt very awkward, but from another perspective: who's to say that man isn't having the time of his life? Go to enjoy yourself and nothing anyone says will be very important. Have fun! I'm going to try!

·
king of the road
175 Posts
I like going out to bars and having a good time, but where I live the number of stupid-retarded-douche bags greatly outnumbers the amount of nice people. There are a couple bars that aren't like this, but most of them are. When every guy in the bar is a jock wearing a pastel colored polo shirt, cargo shorts, flip-flops, and a backwards hat, and almost everyone of them is giving you dirty looks, it becomes a little hard to ignore them and have a good time. I don't get as many bad looks now as I did when I had long hair though.

But the couple of bars that I go to that aren't like this, I almost always have a great time.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's too bad. I live in a college town and we also have a lot of those types of people. I guess I'd get bored if no one wants to talk. I guess that's the stigma that holds true for a lot of bars and clubs - annoying people. I don't know, I was thinking about going tonight by myself, but I'd like to watch the Cavs play tonight and not get too bored if no one decides to chat. So if I do go, I suppose I'll try a few places and if none of them are the type of place I'm really diggin' then I'll just go home. Going to have to see what happens I suppose and just test it all out alone for a night...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I use to go to the roller rink a lot alone when I was a kid. We had an old roller rink in the county seat in the county I lived in. I use to go every Friday and Saturday night. Then my parents came with me Sunday afternoon to skate. We didn't have roller blades back then. We just had the old four wheeled ones. The music they played was 45's. The owners ended up closing it up. It was bought by someone else, but they ended up running it into the ground. They ended up selling it to an Argentinian doctor and he turned it into an indoor soccer field. That ended up being a bust. I guess it is a roller rink again, but I haven't been back home since I moved out of state 13 years ago.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Yeah, that's too bad. I live in a college town and we also have a lot of those types of people. I guess I'd get bored if no one wants to talk. I guess that's the stigma that holds true for a lot of bars and clubs - annoying people. I don't know, I was thinking about going tonight by myself, but I'd like to watch the Cavs play tonight and not get too bored if no one decides to chat. So if I do go, I suppose I'll try a few places and if none of them are the type of place I'm really diggin' then I'll just go home. Going to have to see what happens I suppose and just test it all out alone for a night...
I also live in a college town. Actually, there is two schools. One is a Technological University and the other is a 4 year Private Liberal Arts college. I would never go in a bar here esp near the University. Too many aholes for my taste.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use to go to the roller rink a lot alone when I was a kid. We had an old roller rink in the county seat in the county I lived in. I use to go every Friday and Saturday night. Then my parents came with me Sunday afternoon to skate. We didn't have roller blades back then. We just had the old four wheeled ones. The music they played was 45's. The owners ended up closing it up. It was bought by someone else, but they ended up running it into the ground. They ended up selling it to an Argentinian doctor and he turned it into an indoor soccer field. That ended up being a bust. I guess it is a roller rink again, but I haven't been back home since I moved out of state 13 years ago.
Same thing happened to our local roller rink. It was there for a longtime and they ended up running it to the ground and sold the property. For years it was vacant until 2 years ago when they added a Sheets gas station on the property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts