Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
3621 - 3640 of 3645 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
For sure. I go to a hardcore strength training gym and you get used to seeing stuff that would draw stares at a regular gym. Having done a fair amount of traveling and lifting at gyms all over the country it's rare to see anything impressive at your average commercial gym.

Planet Fitness would be an okay beginner gym. If that's what it takes to get someone going that's great. But if you put in any real effort you would outgrow the equipment within a year or two and would need to move on to keep progressing.
Yeah, my gym is great because it has a lot of free weights that go up to really high weights, squat racks, bench press barbells, etc. I'm currently maxing out the weight on the leg extension machines (250 -270 lbs), and I've been considering going back to squats. I already know that squats are basically essential for overall strength, but weighted lunges have helped me with being able to run and walk faster. Moreover, squats make me worried about my knees, so I've been sticking with lunges for a long while now. I used to do squats regularly, but switched to lunges because I'm worried about my knees and back.

Reactions: JH1983

·
Barbells and kittens
4,495 Posts
Yeah, my gym is great because it has a lot of free weights that go up to really high weights, squat racks, bench press barbells, etc. I'm currently maxing out the weight on the leg extension machines (250 -270 lbs), and I've been considering going back to squats. I already know that squats are basically essential for overall strength, but weighted lunges have helped me with being able to run and walk faster. Moreover, squats make me worried about my knees, so I've been sticking with lunges for a long while now. I used to do squats regularly, but switched to lunges because I'm worried about my knees and back.

I'm just getting back to squats the last couple months. I've been dealing with hip pain since 2019 that's really affected my ability to both squat and deadlift. I took most of the year off both and still not deadlifting. Have only been squatting light so far, like the 200-300lbs range for higher reps. Also been wearing single ply squat briefs that are supposed to take some strain off the hips. Kinda wanting to start deadlifting again soon maybe.

Do you have a good pair of knee sleeves? They help a lot with preventing knee pain. Outside of stuff like leg extensions or curls I don't do any leg exercises without them anymore.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm just getting back to squats the last couple months. I've been dealing with hip pain since 2019 that's really affected my ability to both squat and deadlift. I took most of the year off both and still not deadlifting. Have only been squatting light so far, like the 200-300lbs range for higher reps. Also been wearing single ply squat briefs that are supposed to take some strain off the hips. Kinda wanting to start deadlifting again soon maybe.

Do you have a good pair of knee sleeves? They help a lot with preventing knee pain. Outside of stuff like leg extensions or curls I don't do any leg exercises without them anymore.
Sorry to hear about the hip pain. I don't really have any serious aches or pains. The last injury I had was a strained shoulder that deterred me from lifting weights for a long while.

I'll look into maybe getting some knee sleeves. I don't really have any knee pain while jogging or doing my workout, so I think I'll try to do some squats during my next workout.

Reactions: JH1983

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bench presses, squats, military presses, cable rows, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, bicep curls, dips, sit-ups

10 min elliptical

·
Barbells and kittens
4,495 Posts
Went to my actual gym today for the first time since I had covid. Been two months maybe? Really not sure.

Paused bench press, lat pull downs, bodyweight dips, leg extensions, cable curls, plus 8 minute jog. I've managed a small amount of cardio every day this week trying to build back up post covid. Making a goal of getting back to jogging a mile 3x a week soon.

Also managed to work up to 375x1 on bench without being grindy, so glad to see only about a 10% strength loss following covid and not so consistent lifting the last couple of months.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
pull-ups, lunges, chest flys, cable rows, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, back extensions, bicep curls, dips, sit-ups

40 min elliptical

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
70 min elliptical

·
Super Moderator
10,011 Posts
Jog - little less than 4 miles.

Reactions: Humesday

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bicep curls, dips, lunges, military presses, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, chest flys, back extensions

70 min elliptical

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bench presses, lunges, chest flys, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, cable rows

30 min exercise bike

·
Super Moderator
10,011 Posts
Walk-jog-walk-jog for nearly 2 hours.

Reactions: Humesday

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
57 min elliptical

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
squats, pulls-ups, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, chest flys, cable rows, bicep curls, dips, back extensions, leg raises

50 min elliptical

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bench presses, lunges, cable rows, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, bicep curls

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
yesterday:

pull-ups, lunges, leg curls, military presses, leg extensions, calf raises, cable rows, bicep curls, dips, back extensions, sit-ups

55 min elliptical

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
yesterday: 50 min elliptical
sit-ups

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bench presses, lunges, chest flyes, leg curls, leg extensions, cable rows, calf raises, bicep curls, dips, leg raises, back extensions

3621 - 3640 of 3645 Posts