Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member. Lately I have been struggling, I have been crying for the past 3 days, Im scared to go to school, I stopped a class that had a lot of group work and presentations. I can talk to people if they talk to me, I can work in a group, but when its an oral presetation, I freak out and feel like I'll faint, so I dropped it.

I cried for 3 days, just a small outbreak, then felt happy. I have avoiding work too, I work as a bartender twice a week and I feel ugly and feel I wont be socialable enough with customers and co-workers. Im scared to be back in that enirovment since I dont feel socialable or pretty enough. Customers would like to do mingle, and I would freeze and wouldnt know what to say back. I have trouble thinking everyone is jugding me and looking at me, such in class, but no one is.

So, I have been on Citalopram (Celexa) .. Maybe it was Cipralex (Escitalopram) .. from 10mg to 20mg. I had a benzo which I rarely used. I was on it a year ago, within that year, i had lots of stress, aniexty on/off but never this strong as now. I have been on the pill for 8 months and stopped cold turkey. Now I feel I should go back, since I unable to go to school and work, every little thing makes me tear up or get angry.

Is this anxiety or depression? I am going to see my therapists either way, but I need other suggestions. What is better Citalopram VS Escitalopram? I did improve I believe. What is the best drug to treat anxiety over depression but both ? I'd prefer for it not to be strong and like'd to get off within 6 months. Thank you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi, I am a new member. Lately I have been struggling, I have been crying for the past 3 days, Im scared to go to school, I stopped a class that had a lot of group work and presentations. I can talk to people if they talk to me, I can work in a group, but when its an oral presetation, I freak out and feel like I'll faint, so I dropped it.

I cried for 3 days, just a small outbreak, then felt happy. I have avoiding work too, I work as a bartender twice a week and I feel ugly and feel I wont be socialable enough with customers and co-workers. Im scared to be back in that enirovment since I dont feel socialable or pretty enough. Customers would like to do mingle, and I would freeze and wouldnt know what to say back. I have trouble thinking everyone is jugding me and looking at me, such in class, but no one is.

So, I have been on Citalopram (Celexa) .. Maybe it was Cipralex (Escitalopram) .. from 10mg to 20mg. I had a benzo which I rarely used. I was on it a year ago, within that year, i had lots of stress, aniexty on/off but never this strong as now. I have been on the pill for 8 months and stopped cold turkey. Now I feel I should go back, since I unable to go to school and work, every little thing makes me tear up or get angry.

Is this anxiety or depression? I am going to see my therapists either way, but I need other suggestions. What is better Citalopram VS Escitalopram? I did improve I believe. What is the best drug to treat anxiety over depression but both ? I'd prefer for it not to be strong and like'd to get off within 6 months. Thank you.
To be honest , it is had to say .. but it feels you have self esteem issues mixed with shyness / social anxiety.. usually this leads to low mood because of the situation your anxiety puts you and what your low self esteem portrays to you .

When it comes to drugs, it is more or less experimentation . People are different and the drug that i like , may be wont benefit you even of we have similar case. I feel you should see a ''good' therapist that you enjoy . Someone who can show empathy and connect with you . This will slowly build your self esteem. You can use benzos on day by day bases in order to help you decrease the avoidance and prevent panic. I feel the ssri's now will just drug you ..

I hope i helped.. good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I rarely took benzos. I was off any drugs for 1.5 years now, Benzo's made me very drowsy and made me feel as if I was dreaming. I'd prefer to stay away from them for that reason and believe they wont help me in the long run.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thank you, I rarely took benzos. I was off any drugs for 1.5 years now, Benzo's made me very drowsy and made me feel as if I was dreaming. I'd prefer to stay away from them for that reason and believe they wont help me in the long run.
Then i would say i is fine to get an SSRI .. the issue is that most SSRI's would mask your anxiety and you wouldnt feel you need therapy.. once you get off them you will be back to square one again. I would say .. may be try low dose and see if it helps. at 10 mg celexa it took the worst of my anxiety.. like worst 15 % ... at 20 mg it took 55% more.. .

Try Celexa at 10 mg and see how you do .. you will still have som eemotions left

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice ^ ill talk to my therapist about next week :) I hope it does!

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Benzos >>>>>>>>>>>> SSRIs

Don't be afraid of benzos. The concerns regarding their use are grossly overblown.

People who get "addicted" to benzos almost always have a prior history of drug/alcohol abuse, have an addictive personality and most of the time sought them out for recreational use, not a legitimate medical claim.

Benzo tolerance is real, but hardly what I'd call a big issue. OK, so you may need increase your dose over time. I have done so, but I'm still not on that high of a dose.

I haven't had to do withdrawal yet since I remain on them, but any psychiatrist worth his salt will be able to ween you off benzos over an appropriate period of time to help minimize your withdrawal symptoms. Benzo withdrawal might still suck but hey, so does SNRI withdrawal and you don't see people calling for the head of that class of medication.

So far I've tried three SSRIs, all equally useless, and I'm about to try SSRI number four. None of them have helped me depression, social anxiety or OCD even a LITTLE bit.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Try a low dose like 5mg of lex less side effects.

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
i agree with yourfavestoner, benzos are nothing to be afraid of, they do work for short anxiety and brilliantly for anticipation anxiety and panic attacks, they help immensely with social anxiety too and are great for sleep and sedation. Yes withdrawals are tough, i have been there and done that but i now have a decent doctor who has put me on lorazepam which is faster acting and less potent as klonopin which is what i was on and had to ween off and that was hard but SNRI withdrawals are a million and one times worse, i could not come off effexor which is a good antidepressant and better for OCD and anxiety than most of the SSRI/NRI meds but coming off them after being on them long term is damn near impossible. I suggest a small dose of something like effexor or something in the effexor family that does not have the bad discontinuation syndrome, or possibly a stronger SSRI that would help with your anxiety better
paxil was the best for SA in my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts