Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My teens have friends over, and I also do a lot of volunteering with kids. With volunteering, I usually like to be called Miss or Mrs. last name. I feel weird being called Miss Epril, even though most of my peers are called Miss so and so. When my teens' friends address me, they call me by my last name. I like the respect and feel more comfortable with last name usage, but I on the other hand feel it's too formal. Some of these teens I've known for years, and we get alone fine. I think I'm uncomfortable because a first name basis seems too intimate with a teen. Well, what do y'all think??

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Perhaps they feel more comfortable calling you Miss/Mrs.

Some of these teens I've known for years, and we get alone fine.
That could be related to the fact that you're not on first-name terms.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I like Mrs. Epril. If a teen calls you Susan, or whatever, it's just too informal.

Teens are comfortable saying "Miss" or "Mister" because that's what they call their teachers.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I used to work with Boy Scouts. I always preferred that they call me by my 1st name. It put me on a level with them. It also put me more in the role of an instructor and not a teacher.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I used to work with Boy Scouts. I always preferred that they call me by my 1st name. It put me on a level with them. It also put me more in the role of an instructor and not a teacher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts