Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might sound a bit weird, but I do these things to try and reduce/distract myself from things that trigger anxiety.
These area some of the things I do:

When I'm walking somewhere I will:
Check my pockets, over and over again!
Look in my bag (pretending to look for something!)
Count (in my head!) with my fingers
If I feel myself getting anxious I'll grab my keys from my pocket, hold onto them for dear life, squeezing my purse at the same time.

If I'm standing still:
Cross my arms if I'm in a conversation
'Fiddle' with my bracelet and ring
Cover my mouth/chew my nails
At work, if a situation becomes 'difficult', I will walk away and pretend to read an announcement pinned up on the wall.
Go to the toilet to get away from the trigger.

And the list goes on!

The best thing I find is, I almost always have my MP3 player on, (even at work...they allow us to do so -Yay!), and if something starts those grumbling feelings I put the volume right up so I can't hear backround noises......it really calms me down!

So what do you do to try and 'distract' yourself? Are they successful? Have you had any funny looks from people because of the methods you use?!
:D

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I practice mindfulness skills. This involves being in the present moment and only thinking about that moment.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I practice mindfulness skills. This involves being in the present moment and only thinking about that moment.
DUDE! we are so at the same point! Anything you're reading that taught you that? I've been listening to this audio book, and if you ever seem the dog whisper on the national geographic channel the Dwhisper is always saying that is humans problem we don't live in the moment. its the past this and the future OH NO!, live in the moment!!!!!:clap

·
Registered
61 Posts
MP3 player is definitely my best friend when it comes to anxiety. When I was going to college and walking around campus, or riding the bus, I always had it with me. Not only does the music distract me from any anxiety I'm feeling, but it gives me something to do with my hands that doesn't make me look awkward or nervous. As far as anyone around me is concerned, I'm just walking around, listening to music, no anxiety here :sus (little do they know!)

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
  • Twist my fingers aroung
  • Grab the back of my neck
  • Look anxiously around
  • Listen to music
  • Hum or whistle
  • Say something that just popped in my head aloud

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
If i am feeling anxious around some people and I am just standing there/not talking, and I have my bag, I will pretend I am really busy looking for something in it, take out my phone and pretend I am texting/reading something on it/put some lipbalm on my lips/ redo up my shoelace to pretend its was lose. It makes it look like I am so busy that I don't have time to talk or didn't listen to what they were saying that's why i can't respond
If i don't have my bag, I will pretend to look at my watch or fiddle with my bracelets/bite my nails

·
Registered
62 Posts
In general:
Working out
Listening to music
Gardening
Watching TV
Writing

When I’m walking around/speaking to someone:
Checking the time/messages on my phone
Fidgeting with my jewellery/hair
Eating/Drinking

Does anyone know... are these distracting behaviours actually good? Do yu think they help control anxiety in a positive way or is it just being avoidant? :huh

·
Registered
492 Posts
No, most of those distractions aren't exactly good, but they're not horrible at the same time. They aren't good in the way that it keeps us from learning how to deal with what makes us anxious head on. We use other things to avoid doing things that makes us anxious, so when never learn how to deal and never get better. The best thing to do is to talk your self out of negative thinking and talk yourself into being calm.:roll

·
Registered
80 Posts
1. move my tongue around the roof of my mouth in circles
2. name off all the players on my fantasy football team
3. snap rubber bands i keep on my wrist
4. do math problems in my head or think about quantitative stuff
5. listen to rap or other upbeat music. sad music or like 'love' songs get me more depressed and anxious

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
i pinch my hands and fingers with my fingernails. or peel my fingernails.
i like to hold my keys,too, but i kind of poke myself with them. no so anyone sees me doing it, just like i'm playing with them. i find little bits of intentional pain help me from fully flipping out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I try and relax my facial expressions when in public. Along with deep breaths.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I don't do anything to distract myself from it. I think about it until I can't stand to think about it anymore. Then I go to bed.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
think about the hooters calendar

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
think about the hooters calendar
heh heh heh NICE! LOL

I usually focus really really hard on being casual and nonchalant. Putting one foot in front of the other.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always have something in my hands I'm fidgeting with. I've got to stop that, makes me come across as...well...anxious! In due time...

I have realized just today that what I do to try and get RID of my anxiety that hasn't worked in the past, is trying to control everything around me since I feel out of control in my emotions. Now that I know that hopefully I can change it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts