Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 18 years old and under my parents insurance. I have been having anxiety/panic attacks since i was in middle school. I really wanna go to the doctor and get a prescription for something that will relieve my anxiety and prevent the attacks. However, my mother does not want me to take anything because they are highly addictive. Next week, I am going to the doctor without her knowing the reason why. Do you think that my doctor will prescribe me anything at my age? And if he does, will my parents know that I got a prescription if its under their insurance?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Odds are very high that you'll get some SSRI (Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil) as that's the standard first-line treatment for SA as well as other anxiety disorders (and depression too). SSRIs are not addictive.

Benzos (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc.) are "addictive", but odds of you getting one on your first doctor visit is rather low. I put that in quotes because rarely do benzos lead to "addiction"; long-term high does use is almost certain to lead to dependency though.

·
Banned
642 Posts
And if he does, will my parents know that I got a prescription if its under their insurance?
Yes, your parents probably get statements from the insurance company each month letting them know whenever a claim has been made. If your worried about your parents finding out perhaps wait until your in college. Then you'll be able to utilize the university for medical treatment without there knowledge

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, your parents will know if you've been prescribed something if you are under their insurance.

All I can suggest is to persistently communicate to your parents that you really feel you need help with your anxiety because it is affecting you in -whatever- negative ways (holding you back in school, making you really depressed, etc.). Most anxiety meds have very little to no addiction potential except for benzos. Even the addiction rate for people on benzos is usually largely exaggerated. Agree to try other meds before trying benzos if your parents are that worried about 'addiction'.

Also don't think that these are miracle drugs, you quite likely will have to try a few meds that will actually make things worse before, and if, you find something that helps significantly. Even then, there are usually 'trade offs' with meds (one or more crappy side effects to go along with the positive benefits).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts