Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
781 - 800 of 840 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,022 Posts
Couple of thoughts (haven't read all the recent posts in this thread yet.)

1. Where are the blogs now (can't find a link just curious because of the top post on this page talking about privacy.)

2. Why is there a gallery section now with a bunch of posters photos on? Is it just public photos people put in their albums here? Still a bit weird. (Also glad I only ever uploaded to image sharing sites now.)

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,022 Posts
Oh I think they meant for it to be this way. I have read before that they wanted a limit on edits and deletes. Also, the blogs on this forum were I guess pretty unusual and maybe kind of hard to integrate into a different format. Just my guess. I never saw a blog section on a forum like the one SAS had.
Wait does that apply to posts too? I may have to stop posting entirely lol.

They can pay me if they want me to create content for them. Otherwise I edit/delete posts constantly.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,022 Posts
Yeah the blog section is kind of a disaster, they need to remove the limits there. I'm pretty sure there's stuff I soft deleted to make it private, that has come back now. At least have the option to privatise stuff.

·
SUS Member
10,813 Posts
While I agree that it is a bad idea to put strict limits like that on an anxiety forum, I have seen worse. I have seen forums where you can't edit anything after a couple of hours and you can't even request for your posts to be deleted.
Can we get clarification about this ASAP? I want to know exactly how many posts I can edit, how long I have to edit them, how long I have to delete them, etc. Blog posts and forum posts (if there's any difference).

Foolish or not, my continued use of this site has always sort of hinged on the understanding that I can go back and edit and delete stuff later, even if I have to do it manually. I understand that they're a business and they like to capitalize on our free labor, and that forum owners are naturally incentivized to restrict editing and deleting posts, but this is a forum for people suffering mental illness; people who are vulnerable, who are not always able to exercise good judgement, who talk about incredibly personal and painful subjects, who occasionally say things they will later regret, and it seems a bit insensitive and, shall we say, mercenary to subordinate their concerns to ad revenue.

The number of people who will actually go back and edit and delete posts is relatively small (has it ever really been a serious issue?), and it seems like a small concession to make for people who are already struggling just to make it through the day and who are already incredibly anxious about posting. If anything will kill this forum, this is the sort of thing that will do it.

·
Administrator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
Can we get clarification about this ASAP? I want to know exactly how many posts I can edit, how long I have to edit them, how long I have to delete them, etc. Blog posts and forum posts (if there's any difference).

Foolish or not, my continued use of this site has always sort of hinged on the understanding that I can go back and edit and delete stuff later, even if I have to do it manually. I understand that they're a business and they like to capitalize on our free labor, and that forum owners are naturally incentivized to restrict editing and deleting posts, but this is a forum for people suffering mental illness; people who are vulnerable, who are not always able to exercise good judgement, who talk about incredibly personal and painful subjects, who occasionally say things they will later regret, and it seems a bit insensitive and, shall we say, mercenary to subordinate their concerns to ad revenue.

The number of people who will actually go back and edit and delete posts is relatively small (has it ever really been a serious issue?), and it seems like a small concession to make for people who are already struggling just to make it through the day and who are already incredibly anxious about posting. If anything will kill this forum, this is the sort of thing that will do it.
From the FAQs:

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance.

Special Note: If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

If anyone wants something deleted, please feel free to ask me or one of the mods (as long as it is only a few posts at a time). Everyone should feel comfortable on here, and I don't want anyone to feel anxious about posting because they know they can't delete it later on.

My own suggestion - A way to view the forum in a layout very similar to the old style so that this doesn't feel like such a big change.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
SUS Member
10,813 Posts
From the FAQs:

Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance.

If anyone wants something deleted, please feel free to ask me or one of the mods (as long as it is only a few posts at a time). Everyone should feel comfortable on here, and I don't want anyone to feel anxious about posting because they know they can't delete it later on.
Thanks. Since the changes are new, I wasn't sure if I could trust the FAQ. I didn't know if it was boilerplate or customized for SAS.

To be frank, if I can't delete posts myself, I'll have to think harder about whether or not I reply to a thread, and it will probably mean I post less overall. They'll probably get fewer posts out of me with the restriction than without it. Though I suppose I can null edit a post without deleting it.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't want to get a mod involved every time I want to get rid of a post. I don't like inconveniencing people and I don't like having to ask permission for that kind of thing. That's my personal issue and isn't intended as a reflection on the mods. I just wanted to voice my position.

·
Administrator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Thanks. Since the changes are new, I wasn't sure if I could trust the FAQ. I didn't know if it was boilerplate or customized for SAS.

To be frank, if I can't delete posts myself, I'll have to think harder about whether or not I reply to a thread, and it will probably mean I post less overall. They'll probably get fewer posts out of me with the restriction than without it. Though I suppose I can null edit a post without deleting it.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't want to get a mod involved every time I want to get rid of a post. I don't like inconveniencing people and I don't like having to ask permission for that kind of thing. That's my personal issue and isn't intended as a reflection on the mods. I just wanted to voice my position.
I would feel the same way if I was a normal member, and it’s very understandable - I think everyone would agree with you. I hope this is something that can be reversed. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm really liking the new upgrade on this forum. Keep it up! I am an old member of this forum, mostly a lurker. Love that you've eliminated the 'Frustration' subforum because I feel like people focus too much on negative posts.

·
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!
11,237 Posts
Omg. This new forum format is awful. :-( Is there an option to put it back to classic legacy like it was before? This all looks terribly sterile....

Reactions: Raies

·
Registered
717 Posts
Omg. This new forum format is awful. :-( Is there an option to put it back to classic legacy like it was before? This all looks terribly sterile....
Welcome to the "Brave New World" where sterile is good! Clean and uncluttered so there is more room to feed ads into our pleb faces. Ohh... umm... I mean; all in order to make our online experience more enjoyable! Gotta correct those "negative thoughts"!

·
SAS Member
1,059 Posts
I hear you. For this reason I don't think I'm ever posting again after this post. it's too bad.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,706 Posts
On a positive note, I am only seeing three trackers in ghostery whereas before I used to see over ten 😨😱 Plus on my android, this site finally loads properly on all of the browsers I have used on it. Before, it would only partially work through chrome and even then when I would start reading a thread it would stop loading while scrolling through the replies.

But yeah, this place needed an overhaul, I think it may have been getting to the point of being a security risk. I think on some browsers at a point in time, you would get a warning that this site was not safe 😆

·
Administrator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
I'm really liking the new upgrade on this forum. Keep it up! I am an old member of this forum, mostly a lurker. Love that you've eliminated the 'Frustration' subforum because I feel like people focus too much on negative posts.
All of the sections are still here. :)

·
banana enthusiast
7,057 Posts
I don't understand the hate for this new format. The formatting feels much nicer and cleaner and more modern, and things like embedded youtube videos look much better and the functionality for adding images and doing text formatting seems much more intuitive and easier to use. They've also updated the emojis to standard ones that look better. And the search function has been upgraded from utter garbage to not garbage. There's a few things I'm still figuring out how to do, but overall the format is a major improvement.

Of course, I'm mainly just talking about the formatting. I still hate the changes they've made regarding not being able to delete posts and the limited editing, and whatever's going on with the blogs. If they just let us edit and delete normally again (and maybe a couple of other more minor things), I would give this overhaul a very good grade.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
I still hate the changes they've made regarding not being able to delete posts and the limited editing, and whatever's going on with the blogs.
The main complaints I have are due to editing, deleting, likes, and the blogs. Otherwise I also like the format, but I'm using dark mode which imho, looks really good. I was not impressed with the look of the previous version of SAS, and preferred the classic one which came before it - but the functionality did not work very well. The way it is now, reminds me more of how it used to be back then.

I was playing around with a firefox extension the other day, and got the forum to look different, it changed the font, it widened out the posts, and reminded me a bit of the previous version. I forget what it was called, because I removed it after - but it was pretty cool in that you could modify a page to look how you wanted it to. There were a few existing formats for forums already. I removed it, because I think it looks fine how it is, and was going to suggest it to others but did not look to far into it.

Edit:
It was called stylus, for anyone interested. If you want to use it, please research a little before enabling it, I'm not sure how secure it is and only used it to experiment around on.

·
(.*?)
6,697 Posts
I was playing around with a firefox extension the other day, and got the forum to look different, it changed the font, it widened out the posts, and reminded me a bit of the previous version.
A simpler way to get rid of the useless sidebar on the right in threads is to use your adblocker on it. At least with ublock origin it was easy to eliminate, thus making the posts wider.

It's amusing that they tout eliminating the sidebar as a benefit of paying for premium. Intentionally bad design for profit.

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
@zonebox

I actually don't mind having likes. They are actually useful. You can use them to acknowledge to someone that you read their PM (for example) without typing a response. Same for a post. If someone responds to your post or mentions you in a post, you can like their post to let them know you appreciated their effort and you saw the post.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
@WillYouStopDave

I just get uncomfortable with them, I'm overthinking it all to be honest and making it more difficult than it need be. It is implemented better here than on other sites, like on reddit how it is used as karma and people are dropped at the bottom of a thread, or other places where people can get thumbed down. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually and stop my belly aching 😅

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
@zonebox

Yeah. I like reddit better than I used to but I don't pay much attention to the karma thing. I just read everything that I find helpful and give them a thumb. I only give thumbs down on reddit for people who are abusive or mean.

781 - 800 of 840 Posts