Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think would happen if we all got together for a party or something? I thought of this because another forum I'm part of has meet-ups.

Do you think we would:
A. all sit there in silence to nervous to start conversation
B. become comfortable just because we know we all have SA

or how many wouldn't even come?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been to meet-ups with people who have social anxiety issues and they have been great. Of those who turn up, the answer is B: We become comfortable because we relieve ourselves of the social pressures we might ordinarily have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think it would be kind of easy for some harder for others but i think that because we all know we have this that leaves us with alot of conversation starters... rather then meeting new people and not knowing what to say... we could ask how long someones had it... or how long they've been part of this site... or what helps them... or just about experiences.. idk i'm not sure what i would do but the idea of it kind of sounds okay to me.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I dunno..I think I'd still be too nervous to be comfortable. I went to a meet-up where we all had something in common and it still didn't help me in socializing at all.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
It would probably be uncomfortable, but still slightly easier just knowing that we all have the same problem.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
All of the above. It would be different for each individual. Some members would talk and others would be too nervous. Many wouldn't show up altogether. for those who show up, I would hope for more of B than A.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think I would feel more comfortable knowing that everyone else suffered from SA. I wouldn't be so afraid of being judged. I looked for a support group in my area but couldn't find one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well if I was in a room with a bunch of ppl who have SA, I'd probably be friendly and go shake everyone's hand...and chit-chat. Not sure how successful I'd be at actualy having conversations with people tho.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I'd show up! I'd love to hang out with you guys! I think some of us would be more social and comfortable and others would be silent and uncomfortable. Some of us wouldn't show up at all! I'd just be patient with the more silent ones and give em some time to warm up.
I would be social and I would understand that everyone else pretty much has the same fears and worries as me so I would try my best to make others feel at ease. I'd probably want to get drunk at some point though.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
If it was near me, I would go. I might be willing to travel farther if I coud be sure thay there would be a good turnout. I would try to talk to other members, but I couldn't promiss much

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
If I knew that other people were struggling with the same social struggles as me it would make me feel at ease and open up much more easily.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I think I could go if I had enough time to drop like 40 pounds lol. There are a few females here I wouldn't mind talking to. :yes

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll be honest, I really want a girl with some type of social problem. I don't know if that makes me sadistic or something; I just want somebody to relate to. Granted, it would probably be the most boring relationship on the planet since we'd just stay at home all the time - too afraid to go out.

Ah well. That's probably what I'd look for if I went to a meet up. I'd definitely be one of the quieter people.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll be honest, I really want a girl with some type of social problem. I don't know if that makes me sadistic or something; I just want somebody to relate to. Granted, it would probably be the most boring relationship on the planet since we'd just stay at home all the time - too afraid to go out.

Ah well. That's probably what I'd look for if I went to a meet up. I'd definitely be one of the quieter people.
is it bad that i found that funny? i hope not

"oh man a car is driving by sara, lock the door!" lol just kidding

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts

This makes absolute sense to me. You don't want anyone subconsciously feeling superior to you and looking down on you because of their social genius and your social fetus condition. In ways I have felt that my own wife had a superior perspective because of her ease with interacting with others and how she could easily be the life of the party. At times it makes me feel all the more weird and a freak but then we talk it out.

I am fortunate to have an understanding and fairly mature extrovert as a wife who will put herself in my shoes and try to understand me and my problems.

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
I would probably go, but I wouldn't talk very much. :/ Unless I have one of my random bursts of confidence. Then I probably wont shut the hell up. :p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts