Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I thought about lately... those rare instances where people are actually interested in me. Being asked questions and the like. Does this make you paranoid? Sceptical? Nervous? Do you enjoy people asking about you? Are you so used to being ostracized that when someone finally tries to get close, maybe you feel like you are not deserving of it? Perhaps you've been burned so badly that you're made to think that they are just trying to pull a fast one on you?

I think I'm half-positive/half-negative towards this. I'm glad they are active in inquiring about me, but I also feel there is always some sort of catch.

Plus I act stranger than most people so when someone seems fascinated by me, their interest in me comes across more as a scientist trying to study an unknown species. I feel like I'm under some sort of microscope. So even when people are interested in me, it still feels like unwarranted judging. Guess I wish for too much these days.

So what about you people? Feel at liberty to go into detail as well, if you so wish to.

·
Rest In Pepperinos
1,454 Posts
Yeah when people ask about me and want to get to know me it feels good to be honest, but in back of my mind i always have that skeptical feeling about why they are willing to even talk to me. much more if they are asking me questions. I began to overthink things and make my own theories and ideas and begin to slowly distance myself from these people. if that don't work i'll just begin to ignore it..it's very mind bending cause later on i'll just regret it. and begin to punish myself on why i didn't let this person get to know me. After all that ..it would be already too late cause the person would move on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i like the feeling of people asking me questions and trying to get close to me, its just that i get nervous and think that they might think of me as weird or out of the ordinary, so i usually avoid conversations

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ii they suck then I feel awkward and want it to end asap.

if they are ok then I'm whatever, relaxed and things go well.. I enjoy it.

when they are super awesome I feel awkward and never want it to end.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I welcome it with open arms. Even if they end up not liking me for some reason I have no regrets about not trying. I do however feel pretty nervous about making a good first impression. I'm usually never good at first impressions :no

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is a "love-hate" thing with me. I love the interest they have in me and think that it is great that someone wants to take time to get to know me. However, I am terrified that I'm going to say the wrong thing and I get very anxious about what I should and shouldn't say. It is hard for me to stay relaxed and just be me. Therefore, I try to avoid people and tend to push them away if they start to show interest...which is something I need to work on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is going to sound bad but it's the truth. When someone tries to get close to me (which is rare), I get disgusted. I see myself as bad, so I think if they find interest in me, it must be because they are bad. I do not like people that are like me. It's kind of like a self hating type thing.

One time (the only time), a girl was interested in me (she made it very obvious). I literally got disgusted, knowing that this girl found me attractive. It made me feel so disgusting. I mean, I see my face and my body in the mirror everyday when I get out of the shower, and I do not see anything remotely attractive (I'm overweight etc). That's what mad me feel so disgusted. knowing that this girl found what I find very disgusting attractive.

I tried to be nice to her, but I tried to give her the hint that I was not interested in anything romantic with her. It was at a part time job anyway and I quit a couple of months later and never saw her again.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If someone actually tries to make conversation with me, out of the minimum conversation required(depending on the situation: ie. coworker, cashier, waitress), I get confused haha, i almost feel inadequate of having someone wanting to talk to me. I usually ruin it somehow though..

I have close friends and all, but I haven't really made any new close friends in years or anyone who even wants to hang out with me in their spare time.

·
Denizen of the Night
230 Posts
It depends. If they seem like they want something from me I don't like it and try to avoid/ get away from them. If I get along with them and they don't want anything from me then I'm all about it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I almost always end up backing or shying away. I'm always afraid of people finding out I'm social recluse; no friends/job/lack of experience with the opposite sex/unambitious/on the computer all day/stays home all weekend/no facebook/ why so quiet

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
I've gotten pretty good at maintaining distance with the people I interact with daily (which makes me more of a loner). Most of the time no one approaches me about meeting outside of whatever brought us together, anyway. When they do I get super paranoid and anxious and usually make up some reason I can't do it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I always think that if I let something personal slip out, they can use it against me later. So I won't let anyone get close to me. They're lead to believe they're close to me, but they're not.

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
I think there judging me, or there just f**king with me. I hate having to answer there questions, I say I don't know a lot.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
"This won't last."

"They're just being polite."

Stuff like that. I don't think much of myself... I never see why anyone would ever bother with me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts