Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What do you think of sports?

• Love them

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • so-so

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • so mind numbingly boring

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • they prempt the Simpsons! They must die!!!

Votes: 5 6.3%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports bore the hell out of me. Yes I can understand that somebody might like plaing these games but why anybody would be so interested in watching a bunch of strangers play them for a ****load of money is beyond me.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Eh.

I watch the NHL and NFL occasionally, and MLB very rarely. I'll sit and watch an entire game maybe four times a year (it usually involves company - I can't recall that last time I watched a whole game by myself).

I used to watch professional sports a lot. There are a few reasons why I don't as much any more -- 1) I don't have the time to devote to it (or don't care to)... 2) I've significantly cut down TV-watching in general, sports included... and 3) I find when I DO watch pro sports, my mind turns to how ridiculously overpaid the athletes are. I mean, here we are in these wonderful economic times, and here's Alex Rodriguez making more money per AT-BAT than most people are making in a year. It seems very wrong to me, and I have a hard time justifying spending my time watching this nonsense in action.

Another thing that gets me is the commercialization of sports - it just seems so in-your-face these days. I can't take it. It feels like it's more about the money than the game itself (which, for the teams, I guess it is - but they shouldn't make the fans feel that way).

Amateur sports, on the other hand... like when my niece plays midget hockey (or whatever you call it)... I'll always have time for that... when they're playing for the joy of it rather than a multi-million dollar paycheck. I can still enjoy that. No commercial interruptions, either~

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I love watching baseball, basketball, and football. I like watching golf, too, sometimes, though usually just the majors.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
why anybody would be so interested in watching a bunch of strangers play them for a ****load of money is beyond me.
1. Do the voice actors on The Simpsons not make a "****load of money"?

and

2. are they strangers to you any less than pro athletes are strangers to me?

To each her/his own.

(BTW, I love The Simpsons, myself, though not the past ten years of it. Anything that pre-empts the show nowadays is doing a great public service, as far as I'm concerned.)

;)

·
saudades
1,072 Posts
Sports generally bore me too. The only sport that I really love watching is soccer. Other than that, I couldn't care less.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Sport is my life, I love competition, I love the idea of a team, I love having something to watch which is not fueled by politics, hate and violence which is what you normally get on tv with the news these days as well.

It's the best form of entertainment imo.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I love watching sports, because I've had the same favourite teams since I was 4 years old. I also played competitive sports, so I really admire what pro athletes can do.

I really hate the "they make so much money" argument. They are athletes and entertainers. Do you avoid movies because the lead actor made $15 million for 4 months of work?
A-Rod makes around $30 million a year. Know why? Cause there are 1 or 2 people in the entire world who can do what he does on a baseball field. I always say this, but I'll say it again...if you were the best in the world at something, you'd be paid accordingly.
I do realize there is a disconnect between athletes and the fans who truly pay their salaries. But that's why I made sure to always put the team ahead of any players. I have favourite players, but none of them are bigger than the team.
Also, since I really have nothing to look forward to on a day to day basis, I use my love of sports to get me through the day sometimes. It makes me happy to remind myself that there is a game on TV that night. Sad, yeah, but sports are what they are...an escape from reality. Reminds me of being a kid again.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I love sports. My parents and friends watched sports when I was growing up, so that had a lot to do with me being indoctrinated into it. I've always been competitive and loved playing sports. I think there are some benefits to watching sports, as well. First and foremost, there is a social aspect to them. There have been a lot of people in my life who I would have nothing in common with if it wasn't for a mutual enjoyment of certain sports. If you watch sports, you are more apt to participate in those sports, if only occasionally, and playing sports is good exercise (some more than others, obviously).

As for why people are so captivated by watching sports, I'm not sure how to explain. Perhaps we see ourselves as being in the position of that player or that team. If you follow a team for awhile, become friends with others who follow the team, go to a few games, etc. that team can sort of become part of your identity. A lot of times, if I'm watching my favorite team and they are playing a big game that is close at the end, I'll find myself sitting on pins and needles, my adrenaline pumping, and I'm putting all my emotion into that moment. If they win, I'm on top of the world and if they lose, I'm depressed. It only lasts for a little while, but it can be very powerful.

Seeing it live with 50,000 other people is even more fun, especially when it is a big game. When everyone is yelling as loud as they can and feeling that adrenaline, it almost feels spiritual. Sometimes, in those situations, I completely forget about social anxiety.

For me personally, sports also means a lot for another reason. My mother passed away when I was 14. I was lonely and depressed. I went to live with my dad, but he was never one to express his feelings and I felt I didn't really have anyone to lean on. But sports were always there. I could always watch one of my favorite teams and forget about life for awhile.

I don't agree with athletes making millions of dollars and I recognize that they are only paid that much because we, the fans, are willing to pay to watch them. I also don't agree with teams demanding taxpayers build them a new stadium every 30 years, but again, we are willing to pay it. It is a simple law of supply and demand. The same can be said of movie stars. These people are no better than you or I, but they feel disrespected if they aren't making as much or more than their peers. When you get that much money, I guess your worldview changes and you lose sight of the big picture.

Having lived in northern Kentucky my entire life, I'm very much a "homer" when it comes to my favorite teams. For baseball, I'm a Reds fan, NFL - Bengals, college football and basketball - Kentucky Wildcats. I've never been a big NBA or NHL fan (probably because we don't have teams here). I have always enjoyed NASCAR, even though we didn't have a track close by until recently. Rusty Wallace was my favorite driver, but he's now retired. I don't really have a favorite at the moment, although I do have a few that I like more than others (and I generally root for the old guys). I've also started watching golf, ever since I started playing it about 4 years ago. I'll watch other sports, but I don't have much interest in them, most likely because I don't know many others who are interested in them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well.. it depends on the sport. Most anything involving people or teams and some sort of ball bore me (excluding Wipeout and MXC, but I'm not sure those count :b )

However, I have found that I enjoy watching MMA. I decided to check it out since I enjoy martial art films and stuff of that nature. I don't really watch wrestling, but I have formed a sort of respect for that also after having met someone that used to be involved in it.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
sports are a bore. if i'm watching a game with someone and even when they are all into like "yea! come on, get that goal!" i'm just so ****ign bored and i can't get even remotely excited about it.

i can understand why people get into it, though, and by comparison i'm sure i have a lot more boring hobbies. just not my thing. and yea i was always ****ing pissed when the simpsons wasn't on because of a game.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I used to watch the Chiefs religiously, but I don't really pay much attention anymore. I enjoy watching a football game when I have a team to get excited for, but lately it seems like I have been too absent minded to even remember to catch a game.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. Do the voice actors on The Simpsons not make a "****load of money"?

and

2. are they strangers to you any less than pro athletes are strangers to me?

To each her/his own.

(BTW, I love The Simpsons, myself, though not the past ten years of it. Anything that pre-empts the show nowadays is doing a great public service, as far as I'm concerned.)

;)
They make me laugh. I wouldn't tune in to watch the cast throw a ball around. And yeah I know nobody likes Simpsons anymore but I will love it forever, even the crappy episodes. I'm picking up season 12 tonight. :D

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'm indifferent to sports I guess. I don't watch them and I think most of them are boring. I think it's amazing how much some people are able to remember when it comes to sports though.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
They make me laugh. I wouldn't tune in to watch the cast throw a ball around.
I wouldn't either, for the same reason I wouldn't tune in to watch an animated comedy made by the Boston Celtics: it most likely would be done very, very poorly. But when each ensemble is doing what it's good at, I'm entertained.

I guess you'll just have to accept that some of us actually enjoy watching a ball being thrown around when it's done skillfully. ;)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I love Football and Basketball and like a few other sports as well.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I like watching soccer, ice hockey, and auto racing. I also like NCAA "March Madness" basketball.

I don't like watching baseball. Too boring. or NFL.

But, for me, the most exciting is watching your country compete in a sport. whether it's the World Cup, or the Olympics.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts