Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when im walking down the street from class to class I always wonder what other people are thinking, compared to what I am thinking.

Like Im overcoming social anxiety so I try my best to have positive thoughts.

So, for example when a group is walking towards me from the other way I will start thinking about how I'm cool and no reason to get anxious about them walking by....But is this still my anxiety? Shouldn't I just not even be thinking about them at all?

Thanks ppl

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
well I think its normal for anyone to notice people and even think about how they are being perceived.

If it doesnt consume you and it doesnt keep you from going where you need to, I think its probably ok.

when there isnt a group walking towards you are you still anxious? or just relaxed and walking?

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I think about keeping a look out for unlevel pavements so that I don't end up tripping over.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think about maths... lol

·
absurdinista
3,011 Posts
i try to think beneficial or interesting things or not think at all, but i can fail at that in a rather big way sometimes. still working on it...

·
Registered
259 Posts
"Okay, they seem nice. Just smile at them. NO! Don't look at them yet, wait 'til they're closer... yes.... now... smile!....

"I hope they didn't think I was too weird....I shouldn't have smiled, I probably scared them with my friendliness"

Screwed if I do, screwed if I don't. If I don't acknowledge them, I feel bad and if I do, I feel bad and over analyse either way. Yay for SA!

·
Tones of existence
179 Posts
On a good day I give people smiles and walk confidentially. I don't really ponder life events that much though; I'm still conscious of the fact that I'm walking down the street.

On bad days, however, I just get paranoid everyone thinks I'm weird or "out of place" for walking down the street. Rather silly, isn't it? When I'm by myself and a group of others, usually teenagers or something, that's when I freak out.

·
Rest In Pepperinos
1,454 Posts
Im always with my ipod when im walking down the street. I usually think about the song..Or I usually just keep looking straight and be hoping they dont say nothing to me.The thing that i can't take though is the group walking in front of you..That gets my anxiety levels sky high. I probably think they even notice it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think about anything that is occurring in the area that I'm located in. (Currently the whole college support staff strike and their protesting in front of the main entrance.)

Or what I was/am listening to, where I'm going/what I'm needing to do in that complex, make a mental to-do list, or simply nothing at all where I'm just walking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I get anxious some times, but usually I don't bother to conjecture what they may be thinking about me or their own lives. If I do it's usually out of anxiety or just thinking of some situation in which something I observed would be amusing. I walk with my head down often, and probably look crazy, but walking , especially outdoors, is one of the few things in public I don't mind too much.
When it seems a group may be people watching or something, like maybe a construction crew, I feel a little uncomfortable. I think they're thinking "what a wussy" whatever have you. But I move on, and that's that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As extreme as it may sound, when I walk down the street I worry that someone might attack me or hurt me. I know I'm a little paranoid but I always assume the worst in situations. I hate walking anywhere. I always think that people going by are criticizing me for the clothes I'm wearing or they think I'm walking funny or that I'm walking too fast or not fast enough.

·
Sigh...
856 Posts
I try to think about, what other people are thinking about me? I don't know if that makes sense, but erm yeh...

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I think about the way I'm walking, if I look casual/care-free enough, or if my anxiety is obvious to anyone who might be looking at me.

I get pretty paranoid. Every window has someone potentially watching me. Every car that drives by potentially is someone that 'knows' me.

I'm thinking "I can't wait until I'm home again." I also tend to have a stupid smile on my face, like I'm in on a joke no one else knows about, out of fear of appearing depressed.

I wonder if my strides look proper, and I am also on the lookout for even slightly uneven spots on the sidewalks...although I can easily trip on level sidewalks as well.

I am basically disassociated from reality whenever I go out my front door, but walking somewhere, especially during the day, takes it to a whole new level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts