Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you want friends (bear with the probably stupid question, but some people I have come across actually are comfortable without friends)? How many friends do you want? How close do you want the friendship(s) to be? Have you thought about how hard it would be to make friends because with SA it would be embarrassing to reveal that you have isolated yourself and have led such an uninteresting life thus far? This is the main question I have because I really want to get out there and make a few close friends I can hang out with but, what do I say about my life, and why I don't have any other friends or much of an interesting past? Sure, I could make up some story about how I just moved here but, eventually the truth will come out. Have any of you thought about this and this is a main reason why you don't push yourself to find friends because you have nothing to show for yourself when it comes to your life? Hell, I am 28 and am hanging in limbo in regards to what career I want to pursue. I'm a college graduate from Baylor but I feel like my confidence level could only get me into construction. All I want is to connect with some people and I think things will start to fall into place. But, my life is sh** and its hard to relate to others not to mention embarassing. Sigh.

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
I want to be able to get along with my classmates and have conversations with them sometimes. I do want a small group of friends as well. I don't want too many though...I'm happy with just a few. I just want to be able to go out on the weekends or something and just hang out with them.

Also, I'm going into a really competitive field and need to learn how to work as a member of a team...so I really need to learn how to be open and express my ideas. :/

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've always wanted one of those "groups of friends"... y'know how they have those in all the TV shows and chick flicks where the main charecter'll have two or three other girl friends and tey all do everything together? that'd be nice.
otherwise... I'd rather have as many like, one-on-one friendships as I can. They don't have to be close friends... I just want ppl I can go out and do stuff with!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nothing really... I am pretty happy with my social life. :D But it is very hard to avoid people everyday, so I'd like to be able to tolerate people and their annoyingness. ):<

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've got enough friends. What I want is to be able to get my work done (reading/writing) without being distracted by my loneliness, my self-deprecation, and my remembrances of only those moments when I believe I had "messed up" somehow. I also want to be able to talk to professors and colleagues without having to struggle to figure out what to say. Sometimes, I think it's too much to ask for to want someone to care about more than as just a friend, but then I have to remind myself that everyone is entitled to all these things.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Only one thing that I do want, and that is a job that I will not hate, and has no other people, or very few.
As for anything else, no I wouldn't change a thing. Growing up, I always tried to make friends, be a friend, and just try to live my life. But, it was like from the get go, God was saying, "Son, you are going to struggle your whole life, so just make the best of it". And, I have. Being physically and verbally abused at home, at school, in neighborhood, struggled in school, no girlfriends, acne, lied to, stabbed in the back, etc.
As I grew older I kept asking God, "Why?". I tried to be extra good, but no matter what I did or didn't do, things always went sour. I was told that I had "really bad luck", and I believed it. Everyone else just seemed to have everything fall into place for them, while I continued to suffer.
With the years going by, I started to develop severe mistrust, anger, and a not care attitude. For a time, I tried going to church, praying, ANYTHING, to make things better. Nothing changed, so I cussed God. Since I had(not by choice) spent so much time alone growing up, I decided that was the only time that I had peace.
Now, for the last several years, I haven't had a friend, and don't want one. One day, I finally just said "to hell with it", that I had always tried to be a friend, was stabbed in the back, so to hell with people.
I spent a lot of time by myself, and find that is the only time I am satisfied. After a few relationships and dating, I decided that the next one that fizzled would be my last, I was retiring. I have retired from it. Women always wanted to argue, to try and change me, but wouldn't be willing to change themselves.
I just wanted to grow up living a regular life just like others, but God fought me at every turn. I tried it his way more than once and it never worked, so its like it "has to be this way". I just wanted to live life, but NO, THAT WAS TOO EASY, TOO CONVENIENT. Other people made me this way, but yet they go on enjoying life, while I stay down.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
To simply be able to enjoy a night out without feeling extremely anxious and ill the entire time. To also for once feel excitement when someone invites me out instead of dread like I currently do.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Like others have said I only really want 4 or 5 close friends and enough aquaintances that I can go out every Friday night or whatever and not be overcome with anxiety in large groups. In regards to explaining away the lack of an interesting life so far, I hope I am eventually comfortable with admitting that I struggled from a chronic and debilitating mental illness which I have now overcome. I think people will respect that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would love to have friends. People calling me on the weekends, wanting to know if i wanna do something or go someplace. Heck, they can come to my place and we can sit on the front porch and sip sweet tea.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I'm not looking for a big change a friend or two to get out of the house and do things with would be nice.

·
Got nothin to loseeee but
58 Posts
I'd like a new friend. I haven't made a new friend in a long time. I'd like to trust my current ones more, maybe enough to open up a little with. I'd like to feel like part of my family. I would also like to at least meet my classmates, perhaps know their names for once.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Do you want friends (bear with the probably stupid question, but some people I have come across actually are comfortable without friends)? How many friends do you want? How close do you want the friendship(s) to be? Have you thought about how hard it would be to make friends because with SA it would be embarrassing to reveal that you have isolated yourself and have led such an uninteresting life thus far? This is the main question I have because I really want to get out there and make a few close friends I can hang out with but, what do I say about my life, and why I don't have any other friends or much of an interesting past? Sure, I could make up some story about how I just moved here but, eventually the truth will come out. Have any of you thought about this and this is a main reason why you don't push yourself to find friends because you have nothing to show for yourself when it comes to your life? Hell, I am 28 and am hanging in limbo in regards to what career I want to pursue. I'm a college graduate from Baylor but I feel like my confidence level could only get me into construction. All I want is to connect with some people and I think things will start to fall into place. But, my life is sh** and its hard to relate to others not to mention embarassing. Sigh.
just b honest ad focus on the present and forget the past

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would like a group of close friends that I feel know me and I feel close to. The ones I have right now feel so distant. A girl friend would be good too. I would also like to learn how to play an instrument(don't know if that counts).

·
Registered
690 Posts
Maybe start an activity that way you'll meet people and if you meet other people you'll have something to talk about. Don't worry about your past and even if you don't think so you probably have alot to offer people.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i'd love to have a small group of friends i can actually relate to, instead of ones who just go out and get drunk all the time

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
I would be happy to just have 1 person/friend to do stuff with!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts