Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys do when you have a panic attack ?. I usually distract myself and listen to some music or something.

·
SUS Member
10,651 Posts
I find walking helps. When it gets really bad I tend to pace really quickly. The physical exertion seems to dissipate it. The same thing helped my ex when she had attacks.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
I usually hide, that's priority #1. Then I work on regulating my breathing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you feel one coming, don't try to fight it. Just allow for the symptoms to happen, knowing that although they are unpleasant, they ultimately harmless. Obviously, this seems almost impossible to do (since the symptoms are the very things that you'd want to avoid), but by continually doing this the symptoms will eventually seem less and less threatening and not something to be feared. Whenever I at least tried to adopt this method of thinking, my symptoms did lessen as a result and the experience wasn't as horrible. It's so far helped to avoid future panic attacks from progressing. I know that for me, unpleasant physical symptoms always seem to feel worse or more pronounced whenever I focus on them too much.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Find a private place where you can collect and calm yourself. Sometimes that's not always possible, so the next best option is to just take some deep breaths, don't fret, and carry on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it isn't too bad I walk, get fresh air and try and breath, listening to music also helps.
If it is really bad I just hyperventilate and cry for a while until it goes away.

·
Registered
110 Posts
only ever happened to me once when I was with a big group of friends/acquaintances. I left and a friend who apparently sensed I was in some sort of distress followed me outside. We just took a walk around the parking lot in silence. It helped me calm down

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Pretend I'm not having a panic attack. lol

Honestly, I don't know. It varies, depending on where I am, the intensity, and the situation. If I have klonopin on hand I definitely take some of that. I used to have to take it to work every day.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
I completely lose control. Ill start crying and shaking and I start running. In public and everything. Almost always someone will try to calm me down. Usually a friend will grab me and try to talk me down from it but depending on who it is, sometimes it makes it worse and the only way to calm down is to fight them off, hide somewhere, smoke, and just wait for things to settle.

At first things feel ominous, then I get terrified, and finally I go into a complete panic and lose control of my body. After I calm down I feel very humiliated by the whole ordeal. Normally that level of humiliation would give me a panic attack, but I feel too drained to panic again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just had one for the second time yesterday and kicked it's ***. I thought I was about to throw up since I hadn't eaten all day and was riding around on my bike the entire day. so I went and grabbed a glass of water to try and calm down. I started noticing my hands were shaking and that I was starting to sweat. I quickly realized that It wasn't that I was sick, but that I was having a panic attack from all the stress I've endured recently.

I just let all of those gross feelings happen. I let them pass right through me without trying to push them away internally, or doing something to distract myself etc. I sat through it and after a minute it was gone.

I have all kinds of horrible anxiety feelings, but I don't experience panic attacks too often. I gotta say, they brig some very strange nasty feelings. I instantly knew that if I didn't let it fully happen right there and then it could grow into a bigger problem. I could start to become scared of one coming on and become paranoid about it and that could become an anxiety in itself. After it passed I completely forgot about it until now and moved on with my day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts