Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any useful techniques you use to help calm yourself down in stressful/anxiety causing situations?

I've got some stuff to do over the weekend which involves being out and about all day.

Anything that tends to help you would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
For me, I usually plug in some headphones and listen to my music. I have to be careful about the volume, because I don't want other people judging me based on whatever bands I'm listening to, but usually I think it's a good way to tune out the world and feel like I'm occupied enough that the world isn't paying attention to me.

Also, I like to go to the library and write -- stories, journals, whatever. That helps sometimes too.

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me, I usually plug in some headphones and listen to my music. I have to be careful about the volume, because I don't want other people judging me based on whatever bands I'm listening to, but usually I think it's a good way to tune out the world and feel like I'm occupied enough that the world isn't paying attention to me.
Music helps me so much too. I've always got my iPod on me to help myself calm down. :)

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes I pretend I'm in a space suit
Your post helped me, especially this comment ^ a space suit? Brilliant! :D
I'll remember that the next time I'm in an awkward situation.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I tell myself:

"I don't need anyone to approve of me," (how I look, walk, act, talk, etc.).

And,

"It's ok & normal to feel some anxiety." (That seems to take some of the pressure off. Actually a lot.)

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tell myself:

"I don't need anyone to approve of me," (how I look, walk, act, talk, etc.).

And,

"It's ok & normal to feel some anxiety." (That seems to take some of the pressure off. Actually a lot.)
Thank you. I've never actually thought of it like that before. I'm always too busy worrying what others are thinking to take the time out to just tell myself that what these people think really shouldn't matter to me.

·
Banned
648 Posts
well i think excercise helps. lifting weights or bike riding, if not just a long walk. but if you do that you may be anxious AND tired which isn't good either. well it does for me lower my anxiety level, there's a noticable difference.

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i think excercise helps. lifting weights or bike riding, if not just a long walk. but if you do that you may be anxious AND tired which isn't good either. well it does for me lower my anxiety level, there's a noticable difference.
Yeah, exercise definitely helps me too. I play team sports which means interacting with people whilst exercising.
I feel better about being around people when I have a big open space to run around in.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I am feeling anxious or about to enter an anxious situation, I just breathe. Lay down in a comfortable position, and breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Relax all your muscles, from your feet to your head. Let go of the physical tension. Do this for 5 minutes or longer.

If I'm at a public place, I'll just go to the bathroom and do this for a couple minutes. Simple, but it really helps me stay calm sometimes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
admitting to others that i feel freaked or am feeling headfried is a good one. I had a total panic attack the other day at work when some guy was training me on a new job, was shaking and all for no reason, very intense experience.

People are generally very understanding of this sort of thing and it usually defuses the situation since you 'out' your anxiety completly, it has nowhere to hide once it's out since we exert massive energy trying to hide it. Everyone's human.

In general though, just 'being' with it as long as possible without reverting to avoidance behaviours is powerful.

Building a porfolio of memories in which you overcame or 'got through it' is also powerful to bring to mind in laughing it off as not that bad.

Aron

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like to meditate and give myself pep-talks lol. I just say "you're going to have a great time" "you're not going to panic" "you are totally calm". I take 5 minutes each day and do this.

·
Just me.
63 Posts
Exercise helps me too, but I'm usually too lazy or unmotivated to exercise.

The next best thing for me is sitting outdoors on a sunny day. The warm sun on my skin picks up my mood and helps with my anxiety. I'm no sure why it works, but it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts