Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a lot of people have different views about how to tackle their SAD. I sometimes provide what I believe is working for me but some people shoot it down which is a little discouraging. Anyway, I was wondering what has worked for some of you. I know there are so many different strategies that can be used so I am just curious if anyone has had significant success with any type of strategy/philosophy. It could be anything including: CBT, hypnotherapy, biofeedback, religion and/or meditation (Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity, etc.). I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Studying Buddhism has really helped me. It's changed my mental outlook unlike anything else. It's given me a different view of myself and my life...like for the first time I can see beyond this life and this world. Nothing else has ever done that.

Meditation has helped, too. But I'm undisciplined and still find it hard to make myself do it.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
nutrition, exercise, cbt, schema therapy, and medication/

·
Registered
347 Posts
I haven't recovered from SAD so I wouldn't testify toward reliable treatments for the illness. But if we're talking about temporary "coping", it's been alcohol for me too.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,285 Posts
Currently I'm still heavily in the avoidance zone but I am trying meds which do help a bit with physical symptoms. I'm also new to therapy so we'll see how that goes. I've also taken up basic yoga/meditation to help with calming my muscles & mind. I've taken up poetry to help with expression of feelings too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Part of the reason why people reject certain solutions is that the level of effectiveness depends on what overall condition you are in. Example, if someone that has general anxiety 24/7, using meditation, self talk, yoga, hypnotherapy etc. in my experience is not very effective. Like trying to put out a forest fire with a glass of water. Does this mean that these activities are worthless?? No, you may find them to be more helpful after your level of anxiety is at a more manageable level.

One thing that people need to realize is that when you are in a situation that makes you anxious or panic your body is releasing chemicals and hormones that effect the way you perceive things. This accounts for differences in thinking styles when one is in a "safe place" vs a social situation. Almost like being two completely different people. The difficult part of this condition is that the solutions to this problem is somewhat hidden. It would be perfectly logical to think "if only" I could stop feeling judged, so self conscious, or not be so sensitive then I would be able function normally in society. This type of thinking is putting the cart before the horse. The thoughts and feeling we are experiencing are not abnormal, it is that the situations that we are experiencing them in is out of context. These are part of the body's primitive, automatic, response that prepares the body to "fight" or "flee" from perceived attacks. Good if you are in physical danger, not so much if you are at a party with friends. If you were in a dangerous situation wouldn't you what to be hyper aware of everything that is going on around you?

I think the key is to get our nervous systems to not overreact to everyday occurrences. Trying to solve this problem by working on the symptoms is like trying to fix a heart attack by taking pain pills. The methods that I have used are fairly basic, but not easy. It has been a daily process of small improvements. My main point is that I have personally experienced feeling very self conscious, being judged , overly sensitive to criticism, depressed, anxiousness etc. and those feeling are starting to fade for the first time in long time. Not because I focused on them directly but with working at a more fundamental level.

What has worked for me??

Knowledge - Get as much information as possible on subjects like Social Anxiety, GAD, Panic Disorder, Depression, Fight or Flight, Emotional Stability, Personality Styles Ect. Check out "The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook" as a starting point.

Self Evaluation - Where do you currently stand, how severe is your problem. Also gives you a benchmark to check against in the future. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

Goals - What are your short and long term goals. What would you like to accomplish over the next month, 3 months, year etc. Don't worry about where you should be, accept were you are at and focus on moving forward.

Journal - Record anxiety provoking situations , symptoms, level of anxiety, avoidance behaviors.

Diet - Eliminate high sugar foods, caffeine, simple carbs, processed, junk, fast food. Add Fruit, Vegetables, Whole Grain Foods, Plain Yogurt, Oatmeal, Low Fat Milk, Lean meats, Eggs, Orange Juice, Salmon, Tuna. Make Changes over time / not all at once.

Exercise - Work up to 60 minutes+ per day. Start with 5 or 10 minutes if necessary and add time each week when comfortable.

Exposures - Start after Diet and Exercise Program is it place. Make a list of activities that you either avoid or would make you anxious. Rank from the activities that you avoid the least to the one that cause you the most anxiety. Start with the Lowest and work your way up. The important point here is to select activities that provoke anxiety, get you out of your comfort zone, but are not unmanageable. I have read many posts from people that are trying to do things that they are not ready for yet.

I am currently working on my exposure list with good results. In the future I will look into adding things like relaxation/stress reduction techniques, group sports,toastmasters among others.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
^^Well said kind of like reading the anxiety and phobia workbook except self help hasnt done me much for me by trying to understand a problem I found more relief from diet and exercise.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I keep myself busy with school and work. Avoidance, too. What's sad is that I won't quit my job for the main reason that my coworkers are the only people I talk to. I keep going with the idea that, once I finish school, I'll move somewhere else and lead a better life. Maybe the philosophy of acceptance? Ironically, on days when I accept myself the best, my anxiety is less.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I don't do anything specific or special. I go to school and do what's necessary there, but I don't have much of a social life in the school setting. I try my best to talk to people as much as my mind allows in this setting, but I'm still limited. I have one or two hobbies that I am very passionate about and preoccupy me. I don't have any real friends or relationships in real life, but I maintain one or two close relationships online that help me cope with not having anything in real life.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
I watch The George Lopez Show.

Makes perfect sense, yeah?

·
Registered
315 Posts
You do? I shall prescribe Top Gear then. One season of essence of Clarkson and you'd be having fun poking people!

I mean, look at this Rofl

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh my god. are you guys all american? I thought u can find shrinks easier than chinese!
but it seems that u are as helpless as chinese.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I dont know that I do anything...I just hang on for dear life and hope for the best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nothing. I've never heard in my life of someone going to a mental doctor and being cured of anything. It seems to me like they're more just someone to talk to who gives you interesting insight. I don't really want that. Me, cut the b.s., I just want to cure the ****ing problem. :)

As far as I know, there is no CBT in Calgary, and there are no social anxiety support groups of any sort.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts