Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you're out shopping?

I hate going out to buy clothes. Thankfully I work at a retail store so I can usually get what I need there, but not always. I feel like everyone's staring at me and my SA just makes me feel like crap.

Even out buying groceries, it's annoying.

I don't like talking to sales associates, or trying stuff on. I just want to get in and get out.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I mostly buy stuff online mainly because i live in a rural area, with the nearest decent shops being almost 30 miles away. Shopping does not bother me like it used to but sometimes i might be buying something and i am afraid that people judge me for buying that item, like if i buy alcohol i have a weird fear that people think i'm an alcoholic.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't buy new clothes very often, shopping for clothes is very easy for me though since I only wear t-shirts and jeans. Grocery stores is the tough one, I hate going to them they're usually very crowded and the lighting is so bright it bothers me. I go look for music and movies and that doesn't bother me so much except for going to best buy they have a habit of asking you if you're finding everything ok too often which I find annoying, yet I still go there lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hate trying on clothing and change rooms, normally i grab something the looks about the right size or bigger and buy it. Most of my clothes are rather baggy as a result.

Supermarkets bother me as they are always too busy around here no matter the day or time. I just get tunnel vision concentrating on the next area i need to go, zip down the aisles i need things from and generally look like i'm on some kind of serious life or death mission. I try to conceal my shaky hands and quivering lip and get out as soon as i can. I also seem to get irritable if there are a lot of people in the store. Xmas shopping is just about enough to make me snap and throw all manners and etiquette out the window.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
I usually can't buy clothes very often off the rack due to being 6'4". I usually buy them online. Groceries I have no choice. I usually do the grocery shopping early in the morning to avoid the crowds. The best time to do grocery shopping is early Sunday morning. I usually have the store to myself.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I hate clothes shopping with a passion. I hate all the salespeople and how pushy they are. I avoid the stores where they are all over me and go to the ones where they mostly leave me alone. But still, I feel so judged, like if I'm not dressing up to their standards they just want me out of their store. And I only shop at stores that have mirrors inside the changing room.

I'm also worried about looking in the wrong section like an idiot. I bought a shirt last year and I'm now convinced it's for pregnant women. Which is funny because I'm as skinny as a person can get, I just liked how it flowed down and didn't hug me, which I guess is what a pregnant woman wants, only for opposite reasons.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I buy some things online and some things in stores. Jeans I have to buy in person and NEVER online because I need them to fit right. I'm usually a size 3 but of course not all jeans are made the same and it really bothers me if I buy a pair and it doesn't fit right. I hate going in dressing rooms usually but if I just focus on what I'm doing and I get a good pair of jeans outta it, I'm fine. :) I really don't mind going in public when I know what I'm doing and can be busy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hate going shopping alone because I feel like I'm a freak and everyone's staring at me.
So I do all my shopping online...It does make my life easier.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I love going shopping and for some reason I can shop on my own but only because I'm used to it. Shopping has become a strange hobby for me.

but I hate returning items.

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you buy your clothing online? Any really good e-stores out there?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I love clothes shopping, mostly when I'm by myself. When I'm with someone I avoid buying things, when I'm by myself it's hard to stop myself. Like gaz said I feel weird buying alcohol I don't like doing that, I feel like I'm breaking the law even though I've been legal for nearly 3 yrs. I sometimes feel anxious talking to sales assistants but getting better, I hate when they feel they have to comment about somthing you're buying and you're just like :yes... sometimes when they strike up conversation, they're just bored as hell. I also avoid trying things on. But all these things can be dealt with by exposing yourself to it gradually. I used to spend hours shopping and never buying anything because I felt too exposed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've always shopped by myself out of necessity, no one when I was growing up much paid attention, and when I became a teen I started clothes shopping on my own. Actually I stole clothes, since my family had no money for it. I like shopping by myself, and can't focus on what I need to look for if I go with someone else very well.

I love shopping online for everything, just to look at things, I love beautiful things and colors and textures.

Grocery shopping used to bring little blips of panic, especially in the checkout, but since I'e been on the Effexor XR I haven't had those in years.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
There are times when I love shopping (for music, books, clothing, electronics), but then there are times I hate shopping (groceries and anything else). I actually let go of a little shopping anxiety today and took pictures while I was out of things in the shops. I put them on my twitter.

I'm starting to realize more and more, people out shopping do not care about me or what I'm doing or what I'm getting, so I shouldn't be worried about shopping or the people. I still use self checkout and the internet, though.

·
Quo
101 Posts
I can spend hours in bookstores and music shops (what's going on with the album selection at HMV these days!?), but I truly hate clothes shopping because I can never find what I want, I also feel paranoid and because the clothes are all brand new I sort of feel a bit like a tramp, not because mine are full of holes but because they don't have that sort of "brand-new" look.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm starting to realize more and more, people out shopping do not care about me or what I'm doing or what I'm getting, so I shouldn't be worried about shopping or the people. I still use self checkout and the internet, though.
But do u worry about meeting random acquaintances while shopping by urself ?
This is like my biggest concern...

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
But do u worry about meeting random acquaintances while shopping by urself ?
This is like my biggest concern...
I still worry about that. I can't seem to over that.
I remember seeing an old 'friend' and I avoided the areas she was in, which slowed my shopping. I waited until she, her boyfriend, and her kid (at least, I think it was her kid) left the store before going to the check out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually sort of enjoy grocery shopping, but I dislike shopping for clothes. Even if I wanted to buy clothes online, I don't think it would work very well, since I am short and curvy and often pants that look like they should fit, don't. So I just try to go to clothing stores where I don't have to talk to people in front of the dressing room, and I've forced myself to mostly get over my paranoia that people are watching me clothes shop. Because it's not like I watch other people shop, so why would I be a matter of such curiosity?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts