Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i thought, even agnosticists and atheists believe in something. Like a main theme of their life, or a goal, a dream, a vision of the future, a task to complete, all in all, a guideline. Have you got something like that too?

Its really hard to explain for me, because its kind of a feeling but i will try.
There are two main themes in my life right now which give me some kind of guideline. Its a little bit like a believe, it gives me hope and a goal in my life. This two themes are 1. solidarity and 2. science.

With solidarity i mean the connection to all the people around me. Although i got SA and its still kinda hard to feel really connected to people i realized how important it is to care for the people around me. Maybe i should share my experience. A year ago i met someone at work who was deeply depressed, i could see that after a few hours working together and it was really obvious he had nobody to talk to. I never met someone this lonely. And for some reason he had lived like this already for a few years and nobody listened to him, no, nobody cared. Nobody saw him. I talked to him, i told him that i know how it feels and it was really hard because he was almost dead inside and replied with some kind of bitter sarcasm. And he wanted to become a painter and i saw sketches of his work and i honestly never saw something like that. He really draw anatomically correct bodies and he never took a lesson. After some time he started talking about committing suicide and i told him he should go to a hospital and after a few weeks of back and forth he finally admitted himself to a hospital. I visited him once and he was really negative, but he told me he can talk to his psychologist and that he likes her and it was really the best hospital in town. So i thought, now everything gets better for him. But a few weeks later at his first exposition (testing how it feels to spent a night at home) he took his life. I don't know. It was just so sad. But after a while i realized i should care. People i meet and people i already feel connected to. I will care. Because if there wasn't some people who cared for me i wouldn't be anymore. I just think, if everybody, just a few minutes a day, smiles at someone who is down, or says something nice, it could change the whole world. And that is my vision.

To science. This is simpler. I just love to discover everything there is to know. Especially in Biology. And i would really like to work on or contribute to scientific projects whose subject i can identify myself with. And i like to think about a future were education in every possible form builds the fundament of our society and not economy and religion.

Sorry for the long text and sorry for my English, its not my native language.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Wow. That's a powerful story. That would have been tough for me to handle. You can feel very good about yourself for reaching out to him and being a friend.

The only thing that comes to mind when asked "what do I believe in?" is that life simply goes on. Some might find that fact depressing but I find solace in it. There's new life beginning all the time and life ending all the time. Even in the wake of terrible tragedies and world events, we all just collectively march on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing that comes to mind when asked "what do I believe in?" is that life simply goes on. Some might find that fact depressing but I find solace in it. There's new life beginning all the time and life ending all the time. Even in the wake of terrible tragedies and world events, we all just collectively march on.
I feel the solace too, if i read that. :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Wow.. that's a touching story. I'm sorry he took his life, but it underlines the importance of making connections and reaching out.

I believe in everything I don't know and everything I want to find out. In everything I want to see and everything there is to be seen. I believe in life, and in living it.
Ironic coming from a person with SA. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe in humanity. The naive belief that people can actually change themselves and the world around them to promote the universal need of happiness. This includes, of course, science: curiosity about nature is as vital to the human experiance as romance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
-i believe id be better off dead. :yes

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I think your outlook on life is right on target, honestly. I believe those are my two main life themes too; and you articulated them very well. My belief system has changed considerably over the past few years; but now, respect for humanity is definitely very important, just as I feel pain (emotional), so do others, and I would like to feel I am a caring enough person to make a difference. Science is also important to me. Science is knowledge and without the continual search for more knowledge and truth, humanity would not improve.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'd like to post a quote from Kevin Costner in the movie Bull Durham, but it has some content not appropriate for this board.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I believe in science. Rather, I believe that the scientific method is the best method that we currently have for evaluating what is true and learning about the universe. I believe that people should be able to do as they wish, so long as they are not harming others.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If i think about it, education is the key factor too almost all kind of problems. I mean, if you take the population of a few countries and categorize them from the viewpoint of their educational level. I can tell you, the higher educated, the more money they make, the less crimes they commit, the more social engaged, etc...

But, money corrupts. So to further develop our science and humanity based vision of our future, i like the concept of technocracy. But it should be mixed with direct democracy.

I will think about it tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
if theres an underlying theme to my life at all its something to do with the fact that truth is preferable to lies and to ignorance. more specific stuff (science, ethical behavior, etc) kind of flows from that.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Whenever I tell people I'm an atheist, this is usually the first thing they ask, and I'm never sure how to answer. It just feels like such a broad and odd question to ask someone, so now whenever I hear it I say just that. Like "What do I believe in with regards to what?" Then they usually respond with "Well, if theres no god then theres just nothing after you die, no ultimate point to any of this". And I usually respond with "Wanting life to have an ultimate point doesn't mean it does". And thats usually about where the conversation ends, with them saying "I don't know how you live like that". But I feel like when this happens I haven't really gotten to adequately express my self.

I don't know it just seems like people expect you to have this defining thing that you believe in. Something that completely defines your views and morals. Religious people have that, and seem put off by those that don't.

·
Indimeco
12 Posts
Whenever I tell people I'm an atheist, this is usually the first thing they ask, and I'm never sure how to answer. It just feels like such a broad and odd question to ask someone, so now whenever I hear it I say just that. Like "What do I believe in with regards to what?" Then they usually respond with "Well, if theres no god then theres just nothing after you die, no ultimate point to any of this". And I usually respond with "Wanting life to have an ultimate point doesn't mean it does". And thats usually about where the conversation ends, with them saying "I don't know how you live like that". But I feel like when this happens I haven't really gotten to adequately express my self.

I don't know it just seems like people expect you to have this defining thing that you believe in. Something that completely defines your views and morals. Religious people have that, and seem put off by those that don't.
Bloody brilliant answer. Silent has captured the raw principles of religious on non-religious relations, and furthermore, a few of the philosophical designs intellectually active individuals can carry.

As for myself, I believe in nothing. It's not that I don't believe, it's just that what I do believe is physically and metaphysically 'nothing'. If I didn't need to observe occurrences, however manifested or abstract they may be, and pull analytically based ideals from them [for the reason that it's become the nature of human beings] then I would not. Life has no universal point. We are not major players in some god's great chess game.

As ironic as this may be, I have found 'purpose' in my life due to my stance against the mainstream currents of society. Then, with this 'defiant' theme, I will take my place among the revolutionaries that fell the same as every man prior not for glory or honor, but just to do it. I reject the basic assumption of civilization as a means to exercise time. This ambition to practically self-destruct can serve as the 'hope' or 'goal' you speak of.

To me, the question of the post really just was "How do you spend your days?" Well, I deconstruct the "basic assumption of civilization" to prolong my tiny life for no particular reason. There's no hope or goal about it. It's just an eat-****-and-die attitude when you really think about it. We're all just bored little office clerks dancing around the concept of life and morals like cave-dwellers, aren't we?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

i like this.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I believe in humanity. The naive belief that people can actually change themselves and the world around them to promote the universal need of happiness. This includes, of course, science: curiosity about nature is as vital to the human experiance as romance.
This. And I think that it ties in with OP's solidarity, which I think of as connectivity. We are all connected, we can make a difference in another person's life. There is no magic man in the sky who is going to help us, so we need to be the ones to help our fellow humans. If not us, then who? I try to do what I can to help those in need.

I'm also a big tree-hugger, fairly crunchy-granola. I do my best to help the environment and reduce my footprint. I want to leave this planet better off than when I got here.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts