Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am calling myself "Helpless" as my user name, because the one I wanted to use, "Hopeless" was already taken.

But, my real question here is: what do we people with problems functioning socially, call ourselves, in describing our problem?

I might be a little older than many on this board, but in an earlier day, I think the term, "social inadequacy," was the preferred term for what is today called, "social anxiety/social phobia."

I grew up knowing that there was something wrong with me that had kept me from being able to engage in normal adult social functioning, but never knew what to call my problem.

That was, until, I read, in a magazine advice for the lovelorn column about how such a problem affects one's relations (or, lack of relations) with the opposite sex.

The counsellor said the problem was called "social inadequacy." (This was in early 1974), and that it was a mostly overlooked problem, but that counsellors were begining to take an interest in it, and were trying to find ways of helping social inadequates, such as "social retraining," and were having success, both in helping social inadequates to find better jobs, as well as relationships with the opposite sex, a recognition that this problem effects more than just the area of sexual functioning.

The terms, "social inadequacy," and "social inadequate" are still used today, as I found, with a recent Net search, but it seems that the term, "Social Anxiety/Social Phobia" seems to have supplanted the older term, "Social Inadequacy."

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
At work, people often tease me about my lack in social communication so I always jokingly say that "I'm socially retarded". I'm not incabable of talking to somebody, I just suck at it is all.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've always just been labelled as shy, even now. I try to explain to people that i'm not just shy, but if they haven't experienced sa they just don't understand. Until the last few years I had never heard the term social anxiety, so didn't know what was wrong with me. I thought I was probably just introverted, but I realise now that i'm not at all. I realise now that I want to be an extrovert, i'm just too scared to be that way, and so acting introverted just feels safer. I think if you told most people that you suffer from social anxiety, they wouldn't have heard of the term and wouldn't understand it. I do think that there is still a stigma attached to the term, simply because people don't understand it. Maybe in a few years time the condition will become more well known and we'll be accepted for the way we are much more than we perhaps are now.

·
Registered
492 Posts
At work, people often tease me about my lack in social communication so I always jokingly say that "I'm socially retarded". I'm not incabable of talking to somebody, I just suck at it is all.
Darn it, I thought I created/the only one who used "social retard/socially retarded"
When ever i DO tell someone about my social dis function I would tell them "I am just socially retarded"

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Darn it, I thought I created/the only one who used "social retard/socially retarded"
When ever i DO tell someone about my social dis function I would tell them "I am just socially retarded"
LOL! I remember reading it in someone's blog once and finding much comfort in it. Puts a little humor spin on it so we can all joke about our deadly disorder. I can't tell you how many times my SA has almost got me killed or at least the crooked smiles and wide eyes roaming away after you say something really stupid and can't wait to get back in the car so you can kick yourself in a** for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tend to say I'm nervous, because shy doesn't really fit the bill well enough.
Socially awkward, socially inept or just plain confused I guess I would say!

I recently had someone call me 'conservative and reserved', I'm still a bit flumoxed as to how they came to that conclusion and didn't just realise that I'm a nervous wreck all the time! I guess I hide it well, but then don't show the real me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
OH and I have been told by many people describing me as "laid back" or "chill" because I do a good job of hiding my SA even in the panic attack days i would hide it well so it comes off as just a quite laid back person.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I try not to label myself at all now. I knew I had problems long before I had a name for them, so I referred to myself as f'd up. Crude, I know, but it resonated for me. I have journals from the 70s and 80s with repeated entries asking why I'm so f'd up. Good times, those.

So now if I refer to myself at all in relation to this condition, I'm more likely to refer use terms referencing what I do when anxious. Things like being socially isolated or withdrawn.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The counsellor said the problem was called "social inadequacy." (This was in early 1974)
Even by my standards that would be an old term. In fact, I've never heard that term ever used before, and after being on this board for nearing 7 years and other anxiety forums for a few years before that I didn't think there was much that I had yet to hear of.

Back when I was a kid I was simply deemed shy. Keep in mind that social phobia didn't officially exist till it was put in the DSM in 1981, the year I turned 8. Of course, it's not as if this change to the DSM was announced on the nightly news. Other than some psychiatrists, I doubt anybody even noticed the change.

It would take till early 2000 for me to find out about social anxiety disorder from a Paxil commercial on TV. I can only guess the drug maker did some focus groups and found that people responded more positively to the term SAD than SP.:stu

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would not consider myself socially 'inadequate' or 'retarded', I actually believe that, if anything, my social skills are above average. I was very outoging and had many friends up until age 9 when I changed schools. It is only the anxiety and awkwardness that is holding me back.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I call myself Pink Ninja™ I am a Ninja and I have pink ninja powers! Pink Ninjas™ like spray paint!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts