Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Explode or Implode
83 Posts
Well, I think it's likely we all have very low self-esteem, perhaps preoccupied with thoughts based on the need to control those insecurities, I've seen a lot of us harbor great empathy...as well as selfishness, and some engage in various activites or hobbies to occupy their time.

While we socially interact, I feel SA sufferers (myself included) may stick to conversation quality which is in their comfort zone, such as the weather or surface level activities that are happening in the lives of others. Not to say there's nothing wrong with small talk but in my experience it keeps you distant from everyone else. Everyone begins to wonder who you are which can result in negative outcomes that could have been avoided by revealing, if only a little, more of who you are.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I've been here a long time and I don't really know what we all have in common. Just to for accuracy though it's not true that all people with SAD are quiet, some talk a lot, maybe even too much when they are nervous.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Don't we all have tails? We do, don't we?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mornings are hard

i agree with the guy who said long term isolation and depression.
isolation does crazy things to you..
people assume we should just be so normal after isolating ourselves for hours days weaks or months at a time...
but its so much harder than people think.

i try to isolate myself less but one of my main problems is just getting up in the morning.. especially when i dont have class that day.. its extremely hard for me to just get up.. get int he shower.. put clothes on.. and clean up.. or get outside..
its takes me into the afternoon..until i finally do something about it
it screws up the day
getting up just seems overwhelming

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mornings are hard

i agree with the guy who said long term isolation and depression.
isolation does crazy things to you..
people assume we should just be so normal after isolating ourselves for hours days weaks or months at a time...
but its so much harder than people think.

i try to isolate myself less but one of my main problems is just getting up in the morning.. especially when i dont have class that day.. its extremely hard for me to just get up.. get int he shower.. put clothes on.. and clean up.. or get outside..
its takes me into the afternoon..until i finally do something about it
it screws up the day
getting up just seems overwhelming

·
Lost
275 Posts
Well, I think it's likely we all have very low self-esteem, perhaps preoccupied with thoughts based on the need to control those insecurities, I've seen a lot of us harbor great empathy...as well as selfishness, and some engage in various activites or hobbies to occupy their time.

While we socially interact, I feel SA sufferers (myself included) may stick to conversation quality which is in their comfort zone, such as the weather or surface level activities that are happening in the lives of others. Not to say there's nothing wrong with small talk but in my experience it keeps you distant from everyone else. Everyone begins to wonder who you are which can result in negative outcomes that could have been avoided by revealing, if only a little, more of who you are.
Couldn't have put it better myself. You just described me. :sus:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Off the top of my head (feel free to disagree with me).

Low self esteem
Lack of assertiveness or assertiveness issues
Lack of self belief
Under achievement
Lack of self assurance
Frequent bouts of depression
Image issues

The specifics obviously vary from person to person.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Excessive self-consciousness. Inexperience. Catastrophic thinking.

I'm the opposite of this. I thrive in deep exploratory conversations and the passions of the other people. On the other hand, I am rubbish at small talk. I always feel really uncomfortable during it, and especially if I'm the one that started it. I've clearly made other people nervous in the past just by talking to them. Ex: person deleted me off her friends list after we hung out for the first and only time (ouch, burn!), person asked me "Uhh, why [do you ask]?" when I was making small talk at a party. Oh well, lesson learned there, don't make small talk about of complete desperation...people pick up on that.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
CarpeDiem
19 Posts
A brain that won't shut the **** up.
I completely agree. Thoughts just run through my head at a hundred miles an hour and I just can't stop thinking about everything. Every time I leave a room or after I have a conversation with someone, I constantly overanalyse everything I said and make assumptions about what they think of me. It's pure torture :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with the isolation and the effect that has on us. I hope I am not isolated for the rest of my life, because it's making me kind of crazy. it breeds depression, paranoia, and extreme eccentricity. It's not good when it's too much.

I think we all, or most of us, know how intensely loneliness can hurt. The only thing more painful than the ache of someone forgotten by society is the ache of betrayal. You know, hence the isolation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm the opposite of this. I thrive in deep exploratory conversations and the passions of the other people. On the other hand, I am rubbish at small talk. I always feel really uncomfortable during it, and especially if I'm the one that started it.
i'm the same way. my brain just doesn't comprehend what the point of small talk is. i mean, i know its social function, but I think it's stupid and i'm no good at it. You can always tell that the person doesn't care which classes you have. I tend to steer conversations towards personal or very specific things and that makes people very uncomfortable. But I mean, i'm interested in the person, no how spinach is slightly crunchy unless you freeze it. THings like that=kind of a waste of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts