Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
customusertitle
740 Posts
My grandfather had a container on his desk with some random stuff (don't really remember, I think there were small nuts and bolts and rubber bands stuff like that).

I have some weird (probably false) memories of sitting over his desk and playing with this stuff.

I say false because he died when I was really young, so I'm not sure if those memories were just something my brain made up later. :con

---

I don't think I "did anything with" my grandparents though.

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
I only met my grandmother, who died when I was six. I didn't really do anything with her, but I used to go through her bathroom cupboard and put Band-Aids on for fun. She had a lot of them because she used to work in a doctor's office.

Whenever we went to her house, she had fresh bread rolls and would give us a big pile of magazines and a freezer bag of Smarties. I was scared of the steamtrain near her house, so when I heard it, she would tell me it was only my uncle building something next door, where my aunty lived.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
I only knew one of my grandmothers - she lived in a semi-separate part of the house I grew up in. As kids we used to go and play board games with her and she'd give us a cup of tea and a slice of bread and butter. I have no idea why but at the time we liked it. I have fond memories of those times.

·
Terminator
13,154 Posts
I only met my grandmother, who died when I was six. I didn't really do anything with her, but I used to go through her bathroom cupboard and put Band-Aids on for fun. She had a lot of them because she used to work in a doctor's office.

Whenever we went to her house, she had fresh bread rolls and would give us a big pile of magazines and a freezer bag of Smarties. I was scared of the steamtrain near her house, so when I heard it, she would tell me it was only my uncle building something next door, where my aunty lived.
Aww, that sounds like fun :grin2:

·
SAS Member
2,412 Posts
I'm not really close to either of my grandmas.

The one that lives here was never like a traditional grandma you see in movies that bakes cookies or feeds you etc. Tbh I think she has some narcissistic tendencies. Growing up I enjoyed watching horror movies with her. Sometimes she'd take me to a buffet

My other grandma lives in another country. We would play dominoes together. Pop bubble wrap. Watch shows/movies when I was growing up.

That's it I guess

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
Hmmmm. I think my grandmother used to tell me stories from when she was growing up. Like how it scared her the first time she saw a car. That was pretty interesting to hear because obviously by the time I was born and was a kid, cars were everywhere and you couldn't imagine a world without them.

Also, my mother was lazy and not a good cook so trips to my grandmother's house were always events to look forward to.

She also frequently had visitors over and it was interesting to meet all kinds of different people. My grandfather died when I was pretty young. I hardly remember anything about him except that he had cancer and was too sick to get out of bed. I barely knew my grandmother on my dad's side and his dad died before I was born.

My grandmother also had a large record collection, which I never fully appreciated. I liked to look through them and play them. Mainly because I was really interested in the large console stereo she had. I think most of her records were gospel and country. So I would look through them and she'd tell me which ones to play.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I've only ever 'met' my father's mother, which was once and I can only remember it very briefly. The rest I never got to meet because they passed away way before my brother and I were born. I think I would've got along with my mother's mother from the way her personality was described if I had the opportunity.

·
Banned
44 Posts
My dad's side was a big family so, it wasn't only about the grandparents, but all the uncles/aunts cousins all together. I liked the vibe meeting up with them created.

·
SUS Member
10,507 Posts
I never did anything with my grandparents. Don't think I ever had an actual conversation with any of them. Didn't do much with my parents, either, for that matter.

·
Song and action man
518 Posts
Have coffee with my grandmother and babka/raisin bread/cheese its. She made good stuffed cabbages as well.

She loved to cook for me and actually all her family.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
836 Posts
I didn't know my grandparents all too well on my fathers side or at least not compared to my mothers side. They lived in another state so I didn't see them often but they were Italian and I do remember she would always cook meatballs and pasta and my grandpa was very quite...not shy quite, just quite and he would read the newspapers a lot.

My moms side of the family is a complete mess. They mostly laid in bed and watched t.v. and complained how awful it was every time they showed

a sexual scene
all day in a dimly lit room...ugg depressing.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,505 Posts
I only recall two of them, my grandmother on my mom's side intimidated me. For my grandmother, I don't think she liked kids, and most of my memories of her are of trying not to anger her. My grandfather on my Dad's side, was a nice guy, but also quiet. He was an engineer that worked on bridges, and lived on the other side of the country - he was a really interesting guy, but I rarely had a chance to hang out with him. He lived quite a long time too, into his 90s and probably would have lived longer if he had not fell in the bathroom and broke his neck. I never had a chance to have any deep discussions, or get any advice from him, which is a shame. He was always nice to us though.

Most of the time that I recall seeing my grandmother, was at family events. We would usually go to her home, and meet up with a bunch of relatives. I didn't really like it though. I had a pretty cool great uncle though, he was her brother and he would always give us money when we saw him. Her sister was pretty cool too, she lived for a really long time.

Toward the end of my grandmother's life, she moved into our house, and I did my best to avoid her. One night though, my brother and I snuck into the kitchen in the middle of the night, to grab some cookies on the top of the fridge. They were in a ceramic cookie jar, and while grabbing them it fell off the fridge and shattered.. It woke everyone in the house, and she being on the first floor was the first to arrive. Holy **** was she pissed, she looked at me like she wanted to throw me down a flight of stairs I was standing next to, that lady hated us with a passion that night. I am not sure I would still be alive, if it were not for my parents arriving shortly after her. You have to understand though, we were still just kids.. she was a pretty viscous lady that used to beat my mother silly, and held no reservations about doing the same to us. The way she would look at us, even before the cookie jar incident, was pretty scary. I don't think she wanted us around at all.

For years after the cookie jar incident though, there was a small tear in the linoleum floor that I am pretty confident was from the cookie jar.. that thing was heavy, and when it fell - damn it made one hell of a noise.

Needless to say, when she passed away, I did not feel sad. Not for her anyway, I felt terrible for my mother, and pretended to be sad because I did not want to trivialize her loss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts