Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had major social anxiety problems my entire life and really want some help. Growing up I was always very quiet and it was hard to make friends. I always had a lot to say, but just couldn't say it because of my anxiety. Luckily, by high school, I outgrew some of the social anxiety, but it has never completely gone away. I developed OCD for a few years as well, but stopped it altogether after high school. Some of the factors I believe may have contributed to it could be my parents divorcing at a young age, moving frequently as a child resulting in me never getting the sense of "home," and many people who I grew close to abandoned me. This caused me to have a major lack of confidence as a child and I was bullied because of it. I am now in college and still have social anxiety, but I am very good at covering it up. The problem is I want to be like everyone else and have a great time, making new friends, and living the college life, but my social anxiety holds me back. It's hard for me to do anything social, like going to friends houses, work, or even school. The worst part for me is my social anxiety has prevented me from having a girlfriend as every girl I have been with can't deal with my social anxiety. The few friends and family members I have told about my social anxiety are shocked because I'm a good looking, intelligent person who everyone thinks would be the most popular guy around, but in reality has a handful of friends and no family, other than the immediate. I spend countless hours playing video games and web/graphic design, when I should be out enjoying my youth!

The reason I'm posting on here is because psychologists can be quite expensive and I don't have the money at the moment. Also, I would like to know what type of medication would be best for me as I have tried prozac and lexipro in the past with no effects by both. The only thing that ever helps with my social anxiety is hydrocodone as it makes me feel normal and I can talk to everyone, goof around with my friends instead of putting on an act pretending to be happy, and even flirt with girls. The problem is I know hydrocodone is addictive and I shouldn't rely on that. If anyone on here can relate to me or give me some advice I would sincerely appreciate it. Also, if you have major social anxiety problems, what medication works best for you? I would not like to take benzos because they will just lead to addiction and I don't want that.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Raz1234! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't offer much advice, but I can relate to your story. I've always been shy, and in high school I briefly got "better", I think because I had a few really close friends that I could vent to, and get me out of my comfort zone. After high school we grew apart and my anxiety worsened. I have tried anti depressants and nothing has helped. I think the only way to get over it is to have people around that can support, and meeting new people. Easier said than done, especially if there's no family support.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts