1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
School (the idiots that were in it)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Freaking out before and after job interviews, I got so scared and panicky afterwards I couldn't calm down. Then it started to affect me shopping and I couldn't do that alone, and then by December 2007 I stopped going out alone altogether.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Something that happened in the past, overprotective mother, and family obligations.

1. Something happened to me when I was younger which made me afraid of people, men in particular.
2. My sister went out and did all kinds of crazy things and fell into the wrong crowd so my mom thought it much better if I stayed in the house and she didn't encourage me to go anywhere. She pretty much discouraged it.
I wasn't to have anyone over when she wasn't there and she worked from around noon until 9pm, so there was no time for my friends (or potential friends) to come over. Also, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere with anyone or to their homes unless she knew them or their parents and she never made an effort to know, so I was stuck staying at home.
3. Then, when my sister had kids, I was encouraged/forced to stay home with them, so still no chances of going out. I wasn't able to stop watching them until about two years ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe there is a genetic factor, and some are predisposed to developing social anxiety sort of like addiction or other mental health issues. I think environmental factors and life experiences can either increase or decrease the likelihood of developing full blown SA; but at least in my case, I don't believe there was anything concrete that caused it. I come from a family that tends to be somewhat shy and reserved, but I have seven siblings none of whom have severe SA like I do, and I can't say that I've had particularly negative experiences that would cause me to develop SA. I believe I was born with a tendency to develop it, and that compounded by my other personality characteristics pretty much made my brain a perfect breeding ground for SA. :O)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Naturally shy - genetic.
My appearance: short, Asian. And I was the only Asian at school until I went to high school.
Was picked on, made fun of, bullied, throughout my life.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I attribute mine to male menopause. It hit when I was almost 42.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
It's just my personality. The earliest memory I have of SA is hiding behind my mom's dress at family reunions. Also, my great grandma had SAD, so maybe genetics.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Genetics, overprotective nervous parents,and bullying.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
School (the idiots that were in it)
Same here. A combination of my family moving around too much, having an English accent in England-hating Scotland, having odd parents who dressed me in slightly unconventional clothes. Just having a hat and mittens made for me by my Mum out of an old sheepskin jacket got me mocked, and I had no idea how to deal with it. Kids are horrible. Teachers not much better. School was ghastly.

</self-pity> :)

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
A massive culmination of all kinds of crap that made it inevitable - my parents are shy and were overprotective, I was bullied all through high school, and I've always been naturally introverted.

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
A number of things like being ashamed of my family , being financially inferior , and kinda like perfectionism too all of which contribute to each other in a twisted kinda way but yeah it's all good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I attribute mine to male menopause. It hit when I was almost 42.
That's really weird -- no offense! :D You just had a normal life, and then it hit?? It's only weird to me because I feel like it was something innate in me, a sort of unwelcome "gift" from God at birth. I wonder if there's any chance mine would disappear when I hit menopause? You may have inadvertently given me renewed hope! :)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Genetics, bullying, and verbally abusive family.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
That's really weird -- no offense! :D You just had a normal life, and then it hit?? It's only weird to me because I feel like it was something innate in me, a sort of unwelcome "gift" from God at birth. I wonder if there's any chance mine would disappear when I hit menopause? You may have inadvertently given me renewed hope! :)
I've always been quiet and kept to myself but never had any problems with anxiety. Sitting in Church one Sunday morning (up front because I played with the band) when out of the blue I had a panic attack. It hit suddenly and hard.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've always been quiet and kept to myself but never had any problems with anxiety. Sitting in Church one Sunday morning (up front because I played with the band) when out of the blue I had a panic attack. It hit suddenly and hard.
That's not so weird then -- I take it back. Sounds like you already had a personality that can be conducive to SA. Hormones affect the chemicals in our brains so you're probably right, that may have been the catalyst that led to anxiety and panic.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I wish I knew. I remember having issues with it pretty far back and it just seemed to get worse with time. I'm sure it's a combination of things.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts