Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and start a new position at the bank I work at. I am extremely nervous about it, anytime I start something new I feel this overwhelming anxiety and nervousness. Now I know there is no miracle drug that can make me perfect at this job, but I do feel if my nerves are calmed down that I may be able to train better. Tell me what you guys think. Is there any type of medication I can take that will calm me down and help with me with this position at work? I have exteme performance anxiety and I just need something to calm me down. If you guys have any advice or experiences with medicine that has helped you please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
All depends on what medications you can handle. Some can handle SSRIs while others cannot, some can take benzos and not others, etc.

I'm curious about the use of beta blockers since that's the one thing my doctor has not tried yet, maybe someone has some info on those.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
@valley_girl1919: If you just have "performance anxiety", but not medium-severe generalized social anxiety disorder permanently then you will do well with the following drugs taken as needed: The beta blocker Inderal (propranolol), maybe in combination with a benzodiazepine like Xanax (alprazolam). You can take these drugs before very stressful events and they will for sure "calm your nerves", at least if taken in combination.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do beta blockers help if your symptoms do not include racing heart? I mean I'm sure my heartbeat goes up when I'm panicky but it's not something I am ever concious of.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you do not have much physical symptoms of anxiety like a racing heart, trembling, sweating, blushing which are troubling you then a beta blocker is probably not right and you should go with a benzodiazepine like Xanax for situational anxiety.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts