Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im highly considering finally getting help for my SA. Im thinking about going to my general practitioner, does anyone else have experience with their GP for the first step in recovery.

What will most likely happen, will I automatically have to see a therapist or social worker? I really do not want to see anyone right now and I would rather just take antidepressants. If my doctor says i should see a therapist do i have to? Im very nervous about this whole process and I guess I am just looking for a general outline of how it will probably work. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
301 Posts
skip the GP go see a psychatrist, or have him refer you to one, they are more knowledgeable about the meds and will be able to better diagnose other comorbid problems. whether they want to see therapist is going to depend on the dr, usually, not

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i did see a psychiatrist, is it a one time visit or is it a obligation to start seeing them monthly or so. Also could a psychiatrist prescribe medications after the initial visit if they felt it was necessary?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Both psychiatrists and GPs seem equally reluctant to give benzos from what I've read, but in my experience I got benzos the first time seeing a GP for social anxiety while my psychiatrist never gave me any.

If you want benzos, just try a GP first, if they don't give you anything see a psychiatrist. No matter which one you choose they will give you an SSRI 9 times out of 10. I'd start with prozac if you don't mind taking an SSRI, you can also tell them you'd like to try bupropion (much less chance of sexual side effects).

They can recommend therapy but its not forced. A psychiatrist will most likely ask you to come back more often than a GP will.

Do some research on the medications beforehand, wikipedia can usually suffice, people's personal experiences with them are equally helpful, but not always reliable.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gosh I remembered when I tried to seek help for my SA; mistakes in my life. Remember to do your research first and do not trust what the doctor nor the psychiatrist says they will prescribe you with medication so beware of that because it's their job. Best of luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts