Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I feel I'm on my last legs with my social anxiety. I need something that will treat the root of the problem. All of these SSRIs seem to have much more negative attached to them than positive. I really don't like the idea of taking something all the time and I'm trying to teat anxiety anyway, not depression. Depression is simply the result of the anxiety, so I want to fix the actual problem. So...

(skip here if you don't want to read as much)

I've taken psychedelics a few times and it seemed to make me better for about a week after the time I took it. Here's the problem though. I know this girl who was suicidal/had depression for many years. She's taken a fair amount of psychedelics (not sure exactly how much/often). She said that this, along with being "spiritual" has completely fixed her problems. And I can tell this is true. The only problem is; now she's a bit weird. Believes in magic and "energies" and "chakaras". Which all seem somewhat like bull**** to me (but I can't prove it, and it's worked for her so). At that point I was thinking, yeah, probably not a good idea. Then she told me how she arranges these stones to make her feel different energies or something and at that point I thought, yeah, nooooo. But it has worked for her and I have heard it work for other people, but I'm afraid of loosing my mind. At the same time it's kind of exciting because what if I could cure my SA and find out all this is actually true.

(or here)

She said that what worked for her and would probably for me was that you just have to love everyone unconditionally. So if you manage to do that, you basically eliminate SA, because if you love everyone, you don't care about their judgements. This seems to make a lot of sense to me, but I'm very skeptical. I don't know what to think. Should I stay away from this crazy stuff, or could it be the answer?

·
Banned
3,209 Posts
I wan to explore them further. I am dealing with an addiction in addition to SA and it's the only thing that has seemed to help. Problem is obtaining LSD isn't exactly easy.

Personally I think they can be hugely beneficial. Being introverted by nature I love those introspective trips. People are completely misinformed about LSD. They just think it's about tripping out and seeing things that aren't there when that couldn't be further from the truth.

·
'
1,177 Posts
I would like to try that,but I've already lost my mind so I have nothing to lose,I don't know for you.... And I like psychedelics/spiritual stuff and believe in a lot of things that most people would consider to be b****...hm...

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
She said that what worked for her and would probably for me was that you just have to love everyone unconditionally. So if you manage to do that, you basically eliminate SA, because if you love everyone, you don't care about their judgements. This seems to make a lot of sense to me, but I'm very skeptical. I don't know what to think. Should I stay away from this crazy stuff, or could it be the answer?
I think that idea about loving everyone is a good one. I know what you mean about someone getting weird from using psychedelics. I have friends that have done more than me and they are a little out of touch; and I'm a little out of touch myself, so...hmm. You've got a point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've taken psychedelics a few times and it seemed to make me better for about a week after the time I took it. Here's the problem though. I know this girl who was suicidal/had depression for many years. She's taken a fair amount of psychedelics (not sure exactly how much/often). She said that this, along with being "spiritual" has completely fixed her problems. And I can tell this is true. The only problem is; now she's a bit weird. Believes in magic and "energies" and "chakaras". Which all seem somewhat like bull**** to me (but I can't prove it, and it's worked for her so). At that point I was thinking, yeah, probably not a good idea. Then she told me how she arranges these stones to make her feel different energies or something and at that point I thought, yeah, nooooo. But it has worked for her and I have heard it work for other people, but I'm afraid of loosing my mind. At the same time it's kind of exciting because what if I could cure my SA and find out all this is actually true.
First of all, I think you need to separate the psychedelic stuff from the "weird" spiritual stuff. The weird spiritual stuff you talk about is what is known as new-age religion beliefs. Many people share these beliefs(charkas, chi, kundalini, spirit guides, ascended masters, past life memories) but do not necessarily do psychedelics. I have many new-age friends and was myself involved in new-age religion groups a few years ago.

Turning to a religion to help cope with your SA might be helpful to you, if and only if you subscribe to the beliefs of the religion you are entering or are comfortable with them. Otherwise you are committing, what Camus would call "philosophical suicide" trying to cover your problems with religious beliefs. It may seem pragmatic to just adopt a belief system to fight your SA, but if you really actually think its all "weird, bull****" your mind will never agree with it. It would be disingenuous.

·
Banned
3,209 Posts
Well they're potent mind altering substances. Definitely don't want to get too crazy with them. I would think once every few months would be fine. It's such a profound experience that you don't want to do it that often. What psychedelics have you done housebunny?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have many new-age friends and was myself involved in new-age religion groups a few years ago.
Was it beneficial?

Did anyone find it helpful for SA?

It may seem pragmatic to just adopt a belief system to fight your SA, but if you really actually think its all "weird, bull****" your mind will never agree with it. It would be disingenuous.
Well, I'm not really saying it's bull****. That's just my default impression. I understand that it working depends entirely on belief. So if that's the case, why don't these people simply choose to believe in the end result. Instead there are those arrangements or whatever they do. Is there any logic or reason behind why they were developed?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was it beneficial?

Did anyone find it helpful for SA?
I guess it is the same as any religion, you may or may not find religion helpful in dealing with SA. Simply adopting some beliefs whether that is "Jesus loves you" or "Your spirit guides and guardian angel is standing by you" or "We are all one so love everybody" is not likely to help a great deal. However, what can help and what has helped me is following some particular religious path. This takes your mind of your ego and puts you in service of a higher ideal. In my case the ideal of enlightenment and realizing ones higher self found in Eastern religions was greatly helpful. I joined a meditation group in the Eastern tradition and I found my outlook changed dramatically within 6 months. Since, I have joined various spiritual and meditation groups and I have found they have helped a lot in helping me deal with SA. In short, religion will only help you if you actually follow a religious path. Simply, adopting a belief system is not enough.

Well, I'm not really saying it's bull****. That's just my default impression. I understand that it working depends entirely on belief. So if that's the case, why don't these people simply choose to believe in the end result. Instead there are those arrangements or whatever they do. Is there any logic or reason behind why they were developed?
Religious practices and rituals were developed to aid in ones religious journey and religious life. Such as attending mass is a great way to come together and pray and sing together. Many people join religions because they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. If you are sincere in your practice of religion then you take the emphasis of your little self and serve some greater ideal.

The ideal you choose has to be something that sits right with you, that you would believe in and strive for. If you do not believe in God, then your mind will resist you when you try to worship and pray to god. I do not have a strong belief in a personal God, but when I joined some of those groups I mentioned above, they expected me to just believe in God and pray and meditate on God. I ended up leaving those groups. On the other hand I found the ideal of self-realization, enlightenment to be much more palatable. But your ideal does not have to be something mystical or supernatural. It could be a secular ideal like social justice, eradication of poverty, saving the environment, fighting for rights. It could be a quest for wisdom, knowledge or science. It could be dedication to your career or work. Gandhi's ideal was independence from the British, Martin Luther Kings's was black rights, Einstein's was physics, Socrates's was philosophy.

It does not matter what ideal you choose, so as long as it is meaningful for you and puts you in service of something greater than yourself.

·
deceased
573 Posts
I'm feeling lazy so haven't read any of the other comments, but do you know of DMT? Considered one of the most powerful psychedelics on the planet. Its effects are said to be utterly mind-blowing and in some cases life changing. Someone who isn't me is going to try it in the summer after his exams, and he cannot wait.

''So I did it and...there was a something, like a flower, like a chrysanthemum in orange and yellow that was sort of spinning, spinning, and then it was like I was pushed from behind and I fell through the chrysanthemum into another place that didn't seem like a state of mind, it seemed like another place. And what was going on in this place aside from the tastefully soffited indirect lighting, and the crawling geometric hallucinations along the domed walls, what was happening was that there were a lot of beings in there, what I call self-transforming machine elves. Sort of like jewelled basketballs all dribbling their way toward me. And if they'd had faces they would have been grinning, but they didn't have faces. And they assured me that they loved me and they told me not to be amazed; not to give way to astonishment.'' - Terence McKenna

If you're at all interested in this kind of thing, this documentary is a must watch

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
im very spiritual but it doesn't make my social anxiety better in any way. i'm not very familiar with crystals though.`

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.