Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Well, I do visualization, deep breathing technique, and progressive muscle relaxation. I think all of that stuff helps but it's best to have a general routine in place than to try and "spot treat" anxiety in my experience. If it's really only related to appointments, then I'd perhaps consider behavioral (desensitization) therapy. I did do that for public speaking and so far it's mostly been a success. I used a book and a few counseling sessions.

· Registered
135 Posts
The behavioral therapy worked like this:

First my MD prescribed an SSRI for general anxiety. He also proscribed a generic Xanax for public presentations. With my consouler I worked on how to do visualization (basically imagine giving my speeches and things going well), I learned to be prepared because when you're very well prepared then you don't get as nervous so I began rehearsing each speech at least daily for 5 days in advance, and I gradually weaned off the Xanax over time. At first I took two pills before a speech, then I went down to 1, then I'd just carry them with me and only pop one if I felt I really couldn't face the speech giving situation with out. Today I have very little fear of presentations. I still have a lot of anxiety issues to work out, but I am no longer experiencing the specific phobias I used to have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.