Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my hair appointment tomorrow and just thinking about it makes me feel a little sick. It's so ridiculous, I know there's no reason to be nervous, and I don't want to be like this tomorrow but for some reason I've worked myself up majorly over it ever since I made the call.

What can I do to get myself feeling calm about it, so I can walk in their with a cool head and good perspective?

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I was the only one who got nervous about hair appointments lol. I luckily found someone who is quiet and just does his job with little chatter which I like. Its usually just small talk anyway and I let them do most the talking. I kindof build it up to be this huge thing too but really once you get there its nothing to be nervous about. Youll be in and out in no time and feel much better about your new hairstyle :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Close your eyes and take slow, deep breaths. Take a deep breath and hold it in for 20 seconds or so. Breath allll the way out, till your stomach goes in and there is no air in your lungs. Repeat. Also try listening to whatever kind of music has a calming effect on you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argh, it's now the day of the appointment and less than 4 hours until I have to leave :(
I'm trying to stay calm, but quite honestly I feel sick with worry!
Trying to remind myself that I have no reason to be anxious and they don't give a **** about me.. hopefully I'll calm myself down before I leave! MRahs!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Diaphragm breathing, deep breaths, self-hypnosis/meditation and "going to my happy place" or generally trying to steer my thoughts to another direction.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Do something you really enjoy doing right before you have to go. Read a good book, watch a movie, take a hot bath, eat a good meal; whatever you like to do where you can immerse yourself into something pleasureable. Hopefully the pleasant experience will hang on. It will help to take your mind off the upcoming unpleasant experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I do visualization, deep breathing technique, and progressive muscle relaxation. I think all of that stuff helps but it's best to have a general routine in place than to try and "spot treat" anxiety in my experience. If it's really only related to appointments, then I'd perhaps consider behavioral (desensitization) therapy. I did do that for public speaking and so far it's mostly been a success. I used a book and a few counseling sessions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The behavioral therapy worked like this:

First my MD prescribed an SSRI for general anxiety. He also proscribed a generic Xanax for public presentations. With my consouler I worked on how to do visualization (basically imagine giving my speeches and things going well), I learned to be prepared because when you're very well prepared then you don't get as nervous so I began rehearsing each speech at least daily for 5 days in advance, and I gradually weaned off the Xanax over time. At first I took two pills before a speech, then I went down to 1, then I'd just carry them with me and only pop one if I felt I really couldn't face the speech giving situation with out. Today I have very little fear of presentations. I still have a lot of anxiety issues to work out, but I am no longer experiencing the specific phobias I used to have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My hair now looks pretty damn awesome
Those people have their reputation for a reason. :D

The guy I had wasn't at all intimidating and wasn't too chatty.
I was really freaked out leading up to it but luckily I arrived 45 minutes early so I chilled out and relaxed in the shopping centre before hand and calmed down a bit.
When I went in, like I predicted, it was fine. I didn't feel that nervous at all.
The time leading up to the event is always so much more stressful than the event itself!
Argh! No regrets whatsoever! I'm so pleased. I will remember now not to get so worked up over such things in the future :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts