Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
29041 - 29060 of 29130 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
1,170 Posts
I find this melancholic, slightly depressing feeling I get from time to time comfortable. It is a good pain. Emotional masochism? Is this a thing?

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
Amongst my various old games machines is a PSP, which was bought used without a battery and with some games. Even though it runs plugged in without a battery, it seems it's impossible to update the software without a battery charged to a certain level. Very annoying! Also, I have been fully vaccinated since last summer. Felt quite ill after my first jab so it presumably had a good effect, but didn't feel anything really after the second. Yesterday, I had my booster jab, no particular effect either I don't think. My first two were AstraZeneca, but that's apparently not being used for boosters. So Pfizer it was. I had a mask on at the vaccination centre (a local doctors' surgery, my first two were done in a temporary building in the local hospital's car park), it stayed on until I got out of the busy streets.

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
what I enjoy the most in life is cycling from one place to another when I have to go somewhere. everything else is just filler.

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
I cant buy a gaming laptop because that would be giving into my escapism addiction, it would be a waste of money, it would involve environmental and personal damage, ie it's not ethical. I'd rather spend my time just sitting there. yet a devil whispers in my ear lol. I could entertain myself for a long time and stay away from other people and it could be a little heaven. still cant do it.

once you plug into the pleasure machine you may as well die. it makes no narrative difference.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I always ingrain a personal rule to try not to acknowledge the acknowledgement of another person towards a 3rd person. Often times I will not think and just acknowledge so out of convenience, assuming the person is also talking to everyone there and they are okay with others chiming in and responding to what they say. Learned this the hard way again when it triggered for some awkward, uncomfortable and off-putting response from the other person. Problem is maybe they can also try to not talk as loudly and project in a way making others think you're inviting everyone else in the room to join in on the conversation as well.

Reactions: Fever Dream

·
lagrimas negras
1,777 Posts
I went back home for a funeral this past September and reconnected with some friends and family from my past. A few of us talked about staying in touch and we did for a while but now things are dying out again (mostly my fault).
Is like I'm my own worst enemy. I'm lucky enough to have people in my life who care about me yet I'm too lazy to make an effort and stay in touch.
It's nice knowing that every time I go back home and see them we all just click again and have a nice time regardless of how long we haven't talked.

·
Social experimenter
754 Posts
gradually triangulating the malicious mobs and just when ya think they can't go any lower...

·
experimental sincerity
1,491 Posts
I find this melancholic, slightly depressing feeling I get from time to time comfortable. It is a good pain. Emotional masochism? Is this a thing?
It's a thing, used to be my favourite past-time whilst drinking. But now I wonder if I thought about it wrongly and it should be reframed along these lines: melancholy and sadness are beautiful feelings and form part of our inherent humanity. They should be embraced and enjoyed. Even depression has good things about it, it's just expression of the same sadness that has reached an unhealthy level, where the downsides outweigh the benefits. Depression is like sadness without hope.

I also like this piece on melancholy.

Reactions: Omni-slash

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
what I enjoy the most in life is cycling from one place to another when I have to go somewhere. everything else is just filler.
also sleeping and dreaming are really high up there

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It's pretty sad how it's a standard for the private therapists and mental health professionals around here to change to no longer accepting insurance outright and are leaving insurance networks. Pay upfront or we won't see you. And this business model seems to have been thriving for them all in the recent years. While the increasing PSAs on tv and on billboards plastering all over the public urging us to seek mental health support because they are easily available & accessible all around us, it's ironic.

·
Sas user
4,027 Posts
I feel deepfakes have been getting more and more common recently. Just casually on instagram reels, its still pretty obvious now but it will be scary if the technology continues to improve.

29041 - 29060 of 29130 Posts