Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
43981 - 44000 of 44180 Posts

·
😒🤡
6,595 Posts
Didn't realize the singer from Deftones had a side project. It's cool and I like the song. Probably my favorite track on the album oddly enough. 🤔

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,435 Posts
Have you guys ever wondered what substance or substances that thing we call "creativity" is made from? What exactly allows two different brains to take the same input (inspiration, life experiences, etc) and output completely different forms of music and art? Even amongst artists many are average and ultimately, followers, and others for some reason are trend setters whom others follow. Take X, the rapper that died a few years ago. At the time before his rising, mainstream rap seemed braindead, from my perspective. The same boring anthem about being big and tuff, delivered over the same old tired beats. Then comes X out of nowhere and starts a trend with distorted beats, metal-inspired hooks, and generally emo sounding music, but with the distinction that it sounded different and unique. Obviously he was inspired by many artists before him, but then again, all people are inspired by other people. But what sort of substance or mental ridge did he have that allowed him to sound so different, that others looked to him as the trend setter. Once he set the trend, other artists (with varying creativity merits) took from his style and made their own versions of art that was ultimately inspired by X.

I remember when he was completely unknown and he was featured in this song:

The song before X's part. Feels boring and "normal". Just another rapper saying dumb stuff in a tried and true rap lingo. But then you hear X's part and you just know that whoever that is, it's different. And then there are songs like this, which are bizarre in the world of rap:

I think of the truly great artists (writer or painter or whatever) and wonder what makes their brain output exceptional "art" that is pleasant, entertaining so unique that others follow your footsteps. Kate Bush for example came up in an era of a lot of great musicians. But no one can accuse Kate Bush of sounding similar to anyone else. Others sound like Kate Bush. Kate Bush doesn't sound like anyone. I don't know if creativity is simply high intelligence channeled towards the arts. But can it be something different? Can you be smart but lack creativity? And can you be dumb but have "excess" creativity? Or maybe it's like eye color or height. A characteristic that does not depend on any other characteristic but it's nevertheless unevenly distributed among people

43981 - 44000 of 44180 Posts