-talking to people alot more
-affirmations
-reading a self help book
-trying my best to fight my depression
-trying to help others

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I have therapy, but I don't feel like it helps much. I have pills, but I can't take them because I can't swallow pills. I should really work on that...

I do nothing really. I'm such a coward. ):

·
Registered
575 Posts
~Therapy

I should be doing more.
It's very difficult to realise that each moment I'm uncomfortable is a
perfect time to work on my anxiety! Not something to work on 'later'.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~Therapy

I should be doing more.
It's very difficult to realise that each moment I'm uncomfortable is a
perfect time to work on my anxiety! Not something to work on 'later'.
yea, but thats a hard thing to do. it took me forever to get going, but when i did, there was no turning back. youll start to do things, atleast you realize that you could be doing more. that was my first step.

·
Registered
192 Posts
-seeing a therapist
-the audio series by Dr. Richards
-taking my dog to training class (also for her benefit...my trainer says she has anxiety...we both need to get out more to try to reduce our anxiety)
-registered for summer school
-going back to school full time in fall
-exercising regularly doing some form of cardio, strength and flexibility work
-trying to stay active outside of exercise too (so I don't think so much)
-drinking at least 2 cups of green tea each day (high in antioxidants)

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
- started psychodynamic therapy a month ago - seems promising
- starting group therapy next week - to practice interacting with people etc
- exercising daily since a few weeks back - just got a heart rate monitor, which helps a lot. (aerobics for long enough -> endorphins -> more dopamine -> more drive and focus!)
- cutting down on stuff (less stuff = less mess, less time spent organizing and reorganizing and cleaning up stuff, less clutter, less stressed out)
- just got some more psychology books:
-- opening up: the healing power of expressing emotions (through journaling about traumatic events - seems really promising)
-- introvert power: why your inner life is your hidden strength
-- 50 spiritual classics
-- 50 psychology classics
- going to try journaling 15mins m-f, inspired by that book.
- got a fuzzy orange carrot with catnip compartment. for future cat.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Good work!

I need to look into aerobics for endorphins. Now I'm only doing heavy weightlifting. Cutting down on stuff here, from how you worded it, looks like it'd be beneficial for me to do that too. I like picking up these suggestions.

Can you describe what (how) you do with psychodynamic therapy?
Thanks - yeah endorphins are pretty amazing - I only recently discovered them. I always thought I was getting enough exercise but I really was just edging up against the aerobic regime - the heart rate monitor really helps show you where it's at. And if you stay in it for 5-10 minutes you get endorphins, which then give you dopamine. And then I finally had enough drive to tackle organizing some of the stuff that I've been putting off. :)

And yeah, I'm trying to get down to just one room worth of stuff, so I can move around easier - I like being more mobile.

I went through CBT when I was younger which was really helpful to get past a lot of anxiety, but psychodynamic deals with things like repression of emotions, learning to uncover them and integrate them into your psyche. Which in my case I think contributed to SA, because I repressed them so much, it led to weird interactions with people. Eg even getting past the anxiety, I still had problems with close relationships - I felt like I had nothing inside of me.

The book on journaling (which is research-based) talks about this stuff also - it sounds like a really cheap form of psychotherapy - the idea is to deal with things that were really troubling in your life, that you tend to avoid thinking about. Otherwise they remain unprocessed and unintegrated, and similar situations can trigger the repression. It fits with the whole idea of 'the talking cure' - by talking about your problems, you express the emotions and integrate them by thinking about them and processing them. And apparently, doing it in a journal can help also. But the therapist can also tell when you're tensing up and repressing some emotion, and try to get you to relax and talk about it (muscular tension is often a sign of repression). So I think it will eventually help me be able to get along with people better. And being able to experience some of the buried emotions has been pretty eye-opening in itself.

·
Registered
371 Posts
-Filled out an application to go to The Art Institute of San Fransisco!!
-trying to get out more and talk to people..
-having more positive thoughts.
-Not giving up on myself and my goals.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep it comin, its good to here some positivity:)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
  • Trying to get out more. (cinema, concerts - i've not got to the stage yet where I feel able to eat in public, or talk to people when i'm out).
  • Taking medication.
  • Reading self-help books.
  • Make myself talk to people at work, and have started sitting with people at breaks (i've always sat alone before recently).
  • Posting on this forum (i've always been to nervous to post before).

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
-Setting goals that push me out of my comfort zone
-Exposing myself to social situations
-Exercising more(mostly walking)
-Eating healthier
-Losing weight(18lbs as of today)
-Reducing my pop/soda caffeine intake
-Trying to be supportive to others(mostly on SAS)
-Trying to become more comfortale with myself(looks/voice)
-Making friends online
-Going to college

Great job, everyone :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
- Doing more outside activities and activities that involve other people
- Spending more time on my physical appearance
- Eating healthier and losing weight (60 pounds so far)
- Making small talk with coworkers and strangers
- Doing things that push me outside of my comfort zone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts