Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
well I just started working on my SA again about 2 weeeks ago. I am reading everything that I can find and this SAS site helps too. Im exercising and listening to music. I'm taking St. Johns Wort. One more thing that I havent tried yet is the relaxation techniques and breathing techniques. Im sure thats not spelled correctly but I will be ok. As soon as my car is fixed i will be able to get out more. I think that it being out of commission for 6 months has really hurt my progress. I think I am worse than I was six months ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started inviting people to do stuff with me instead of relying on them all the time.

Before I go out with friends, I try to make sure I am in the right frame of mind. I remind myself that these people like me for 'me', and not for what I can do, what I possess, and what I can do for them.

Sometimes friends forget to tell you that they enjoy your company, it's just a given. So when the negative thoughts creep in where I question their friendship, I try to dismiss them or reinforce the positive reasons why I enjoy their company and vice versa. It has helped tremendously. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm seeing a psychologist once a week for cbt. Also I'm seeing my psychiatrist soon, so I'll probably be starting another drug (im just getting off of celexa right now). Also, I'm trying to be as friendly as possible at school, and trying to talk to classmates. Who knows? Maybe i'll make some friends eventually (i have none right now :( ).

So far nothing has helped.. but I'm still hopeful.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It is through the Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety and the founder is Lucinda Basset. You can get the tapes through her website or on t.v. or some have even purchased them cheaper on e-bay. They are used mainly to help people with anxiety. I dont know how well it works for SA. I guess it depends on the individual.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Say, that is a good question.

I'm abstinent (off sugar). Sugar exascerbates my SA, panic attacks, depression--you name it!

I try to practice the Universal Law of Reciprocation--reaching out first and expecting (nothing in return) but getting lots in return.

I put my spare change in those Salvation Army buckets every time I pass by--even if it's just a quarter.

I go to my gym regularly and work out--hard!

I try to learn something new every day.

Leilanistar

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
1. Reading David Burn's books (I have read his books several times- there are some parts I have read about 10 times. His messages are so uplifting).

2. Whenever I have a negative thought about something, I always try to put a more rational spin on the thought (i.e. instead of thinking "I'm different" or "I'm a screw-up", I will think "I am just as good as anyone else").

3. Being out in places where there are a lot of people around (i.e.fellow employees at my new job) and talking to those people. The more I do this, the more I realize that most people are nice and I can be myself around them.

I have been doing these three things for the past several months and my anxiety has been getting lower and lower everyday. I feel almost no anxiety anymore when I am around people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You're all doing great things! I'm going to volunteer at a charity shop. Atleast I can stop at anytime but I'm going to try my best and keep going. I guess it's all about getting out of the house and meeting people for me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I really tried to read all of these replies, but sheehs.
But me I Like a lot of you guys say yes to every single social outing i get asked to if i can go. And I also have this audio book on social anxiety, its helping a lil but its pretty slow for where i am i think.
The most important thing i've been doing is realizing every negative thought i have is wrong, and replacing them with true positive thoughts.
right now i am just working on feeling comfortable in my own skin. which is working famously. I predict by .... 2011 i'll be in a really good place baring any unforeseen set backs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. Exercise 3 times a week.
2. Got the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook and will start the book's program.
3. Making eye contact with people.
4. Going to meetup groups.
5. Reading books on social anxiety.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.