Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a lot of trouble in gr. 11, and finally somehow came across a SA "checklist" if you will...I actually cried with relief because it fit perfectly.

However...I am unsure now whether I have Social Anxiety of general anxiety and what the difference is- different medications? different causes?

My mother once told me that I have always been anxious, although i've only had "social anxiety" symptoms for the last couple years- before that I had a job, I made friends, i could tallk in class. Now I can't do anything social.

I've been getting more "generally" anxious though..as in, feeling the need to check if something has been shut off, or HAVING to go back to check a word etc. Or being overwhelmed at the slightest bit of stress.

1. is it possible these "secondary" anxiety symptoms 9not directly pertaining to social situations) are a manifestation of my still-prevalent SA? Or is it more likely that I am generally anxious, and the SA part has just decided to finally rear its ugly head?

2. When/If i ever get to a doctor, which one gives me more of a chance of getting meds? Saying I only have social anxiety issues or saying I'm anxious other times too (but not all the time)...won't they be more likely to dismiss it as personality thing? Should i just keep it simple.

That was long, but thank you anyways :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
SA can definitely be brought on by circumstances and not just engrained in personality. Mine was brought on by circustance (health issues). The issues are however, psychlogical, no one has said anything to make me feel more self conscious. I am on a low dose antidepressant to deal with it. So to answer your questions (just my opinion only I am no doctor/therapist):
1) for me SA has secondary symptoms, racing heart, sweating, dizzines, in social situations, though I have had panic attacks that are similar in symptoms in alone
2) I am a big believer in treating these kinds of problem with meds and therapy. Most doctors seem pretty quick to dispense meds without recommending therapy though.

You are off to a good start getting help by joining this site. I've just been on almost 2 weeks but have found the posts very helpful and the people to be friendly.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think SA leads at least in my case to an assortment of problems ie depression, other anxiety etc. I think you should tell your Dr everything. The meds they use to treat both are pretty similar anyway. The therapy is different though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.