Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I absolutely have to get a full time job...SOON. I no longer have medical insurance and don't have any of my meds left, and don't have any money to pay for them out of pocket. I have never worked before, and I know starting a full time job right off the bat is too big a step, but I don't really have any choice. I've been thinking about all this for a while, and I was just wondering if there are specific kinds of jobs that suit people with Social Anxiety. Jobs that are plentiful, pay well, and won't take me completely out of my comfort zone. I know many of you work, so what do you do? I've looked online and haven't really found anything. I've called a few temp agencies and asked about it, but they didn't know either. So I figured I'd go as close to the source as I could and ask those of you who work and are actually able to do it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't really think of any jobs that are good for people with SA. The only thing that comes to mind would be construction or farming or something like that...heh.

What about working at a library? I'm sure it doesn't pay very well, but it would be a comfotable working environment for someone with SAD. You wouldn't have to worry too much about making conversation and being social.

I work at a grocery store and I'm constantly surrounded by people. It can be difficult at times, but I do my best to cope.

Good luck!

·
Registered
845 Posts
'What about working at a library? I'm sure it doesn't pay very well, but it would be a comfotable working environment for someone with SAD. You wouldn't have to worry too much about making conversation and being social.'

I work in a library. I dont interact too much with the customers if i can help it but we sometimes have to go to schools(or the school children come to us)and read books to them :afr

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, you might want to consider working the midnight shift someplace like a stocking position, or delivering newspapers, but that's not full time work. On the midnight to early morning shifts, you usually don't see too many people, my suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It all depends on how bad your SA is. I think office jobs are a good option...you just have to find the right one. It sounds a little odd, but working in a really big company can be a good thing because you just sort of disappear into it.

There are lots of office jobs like data entry or filing where you don't have to talk to a lot people. I used to do word processing and I hardly had to talk to anyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If are good at computers/internet & don't mind speaking on the telephone customer service is an option. Usually you get lost in the calls & start to not even notice the people around you (coworkers).

·
Registered
57 Posts
What worked well for me was finding a job that interested me. I would suggest thinking about what you like, and looking
for a job in that field. If you like to read, then try a bookstore or library. If you like movies, try a DVD store. If you like animals, try a kennel or vet. If you like art or doing crafts, try a gallery or craft/frame store I know these are all jobs where you'd have to deal with people, but I find I have more confidence and have made more friends at work than anywhere else, because I am knowledgeable and my coworkers and clients and I have similar interests we can talk about. (I hope this does not sound snotty; I definitely have my anxious moments at work, but it's not as bad as other jobs that I've had.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
As some people have mentioned above stocking shelves, etc in Retail. If you apply for a job in retail, chances are they won't always put you on the roster as stocking, sometimes they may require you to work as a cashier/registers which you probably won't like. (my experience)

·
Registered
538 Posts
lostsockmonkey said:
If you like art or doing crafts, try a gallery or craft/frame store (this is where I work, btw.)
your sooo lucky, this is exactly where I'm trying to get a job right now. I have applied to several arts/crafts stores (and museums and art galleries) for jobs and so far not a single one has even called me back for an interview. And it really makes me mad :mum becuse I know I am really knowledgable about art and art related things, but no one is willing to give me a chance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You could try becoming a stock person for a department store... I work for nordstroms, and I know they have guys that just stock shoes all day in the back room. I have considered it, but I am getting more money doing what I do now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have been asking myself the same question as to the best jobs. I am about to get my degree in Marketing and have no clue as to what to look for. I think my SA got worse since I've been going to school, now I dont know if the degree will be worth it. I have been thinking about being a truck driver as my last resort. God help me lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same problem, and I have always worked in a Warehouse environment, and was able to cope with the people, but now that my SA is worse, and I moved across the country, I am doing Merchandising. I have found that is probably one of the best jobs for people with SA, cause you are on your own, and have no boss looking over your shoulder. Plus, you go into the stores, do your merchandising, then leave and go to the next store, so you hardly have any interaction with the people at the stores either. You usually set your own schedule, and there is a lot of independence! The worst part of this job is walking in the stores, and if you don't have that problem, then you are set! Really, you gotta look into this. They usually don't pay much, but I am lucky that I got one that pays $12 and hour, which is good for that kind of job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Daysy,
What type of tasks are involved in merchandising? Is it stocking merchandise and inventory? This sounds like something I would be interested. Thanks for posting about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lets say that you work for Pepsi as a Merchandiser. You will probably either drive your car, or a company van, stop at a grocery store, and the stock will be in the back room. You put it out on the shelf, and then order for the next time you go in. Then you drive to the next store, and do the same. But, you really don't have to deal too much with the store personnell, except maybe just to get your printout of what you are stocking, depending on the company you work for. I work for a makeup company, so I have 5 stores a week, and I make my own schedule, as long as I get to all stores during the week. I spend 2-3 hrs in each store, so I only work about 15 hrs a week. It' a really good job for SA, probably the best one I have had! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go on Careerbuilder.com and in the search, put "Merchandiser" even if you want part time, do not put part time cause all the listings won't come up. Also Monster.com is a good one too. They usually have a lot more on Careerbuilder though.

Your welcome!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think is sucks that these jobs that are best for people with S.A. don't pay as much as other jobs.

I'm at the point where either I face the fears somehow and try to get a better job, or live in fear of people and not get paid what I'm worth. I constantly look at the future and see that I cannot live like this and that I have to change or I will not have much in life (unless I marry a rich girl!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I totally know what you are talking about, cause I used to settle for boyfriends that I was way too good for, and they abused me verbally and emotionally, and I let them. SA makes you become something that you aren't, it lowers you for sure.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts