Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.....

can anyone tell me what are the benefits of the online courses. I have done online course in industrial relations and got certificate after completing the exams. I have done this course through www.selfstudyz.com

now i want to know how beneficial it is for my career.

awaiting for reply asap......

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think the benefits are more practical, rather than career. If it's from an actual university, then I would say the real benefit is not having to drive to school everyday, but otherwise, probably the same as regular school.

If it's one of those ITT Tech/Devry/Phoenix things, well, I'm not sure how useful those are.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm thinking of completing my degree online, but through a bona fide university. Being able to take classes when I feel like it, without a fixed schedule, is the main benefit for me. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
O man i am all about online courses! It helped me when i was going through a real bad SA period but thats not the reason i like it.
1. You can work at your own pace.
2. Say you want to finish something or you are bored and have a lot of time, you can just get ahead.
3. wake up at 3am and cant get back to bed or get the desire to study.
4. I like to read and learn by myself so it is a lot easier and it really forces me to actually read the material.

·
Banned
837 Posts
O man i am all about online courses! It helped me when i was going through a real bad SA period but thats not the reason i like it.
1. You can work at your own pace.
2. Say you want to finish something or you are bored and have a lot of time, you can just get ahead.
3. wake up at 3am and cant get back to bed or get the desire to study.
4. I like to read and learn by myself so it is a lot easier and it really forces me to actually read the material.
Uh huh... now try to get a job. I guarantee you that 99% of the employers will throw your resume in a shredder the minute they see ITT Tech or U of Phoenix online on there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Uh huh... now try to get a job. I guarantee you that 99% of the employers will throw your resume in a shredder the minute they see ITT Tech or U of Phoenix online on there.
I think that's probably true but there are also local community colleges that are starting to offer a wide variety of online courses. That's what I've done over the last few quarters and if you choose courses carefully good universities will accept a lot of the credits towards an eventual "real" degree.

·
beech plees
1,290 Posts
My advice, don't try for an online uni and go for a "real world" uni that offers online or correspondence courses. The University of London has been offering them for a while now, and so have various colleges around the world. Pick a reputable one for your field, they may just have some offerings for you. And perhaps think about attending that uni on-campus eventually so your degree doesn't have to have "online" tacked on there somewhere :p

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Absolutely - here in Florida, USA the regular universities have online classes --- my boss got most of her business degree taking stuff from Florida State University online.... it isn't all about UofPhoenix and ITT... most 'real' universities offer online courses - especially the core classes that are required for a 4 year degree.

Even our Community College does online classes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like another poster said community colleges offer online courses. The online courses go on your official transcripts as a normal class. There is no distinction between online or at school courses. Yea of course classes like actual online universities are not the same.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Benefits as already stated, not having to 'go there', saving gas, time, therefore money, being able to work a job and take classes when 'you' have the time, working at your own pace, easier for the instructor, eases the impact on the university (i.e. not having to have a classroom, a/c/h it, less staff necessary, less maintenance)... mostly I think being able to get your education from home is a huge bonus. But, you have to be disciplined enough to do the work and turn it in on time and meet with the instructors if requested or to go take the tests in person - if they aren't also online.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Like another poster said community colleges offer online courses. The online courses go on your official transcripts as a normal class. There is no distinction between online or at school courses. Yea of course classes like actual online universities are not the same.
I agree. A regular college is different. It does help with anxiety problems, also gas, car, time problems/possible problems too. But then you are tempted to stay online a lot :lol

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Yes, many legitimate universities now offer entire degrees online. It's really great because you are not limited to the degrees offered at your local universities. I'm currently pursuing my graduate certificate in children's literature from Penn State. I certainly wouldn't be able to do that at the one university in town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts