Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Excessive caffine is one to avoid I suppose.
Call me a hypocrite though!
*Sips coffee*

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sugars, artificial sweeteners i would stay away from. I heard Sodium Fluoride makes you docile, maybe it's the cure for Anxiety :p

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I've heard coal tar derived colours can make a lot of kids hyperactive.

·
is trying.
714 Posts
Flouride is a mind control plot! :boogie

·
Registered
522 Posts
Simple sugars and caffeine for suresies. I've heard things like red food colouring have been implicated, but don't know the quality of the science behind that.

But yeah, minimize the caffeine and swap complex carbs for simple carbs, and that should help a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find most of the things other people listed can make my anxiety worse or just make me sick...Caffeine, artificial sweeteners, MSG to name a few! :) I know for sure the caffeine makes it MUCH worse, artificial sweeteners is something my doctor mentioned to me and ever since I've avoided them, and I just have bad reactions to MSG (makes me sick!)

JasmineElizabethR
http://elizabethp-mylife.blogspot.com/

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I don't drink coffee. But has having less artificial sweeteners and MSG helped make you social anxiety(and any other forms of anxiety) better?

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
None of the things mentioned so far are actually directly linked with anxiety, apart from caffeine whose effects differ from person to person anyway, being anxiolytic for some and anxiogenic for others.

MSG hasn't been found to cause any more side-effects than other glutamates in those susceptible to them.

Aspartame contains nothing more than two compounds that are found in almost every type of food, bonded in a way that produces an insignificant amount of methanol (less than a glass of any fruit juice) when ingested. Even if the complete structure had some kind of carcinogenic effect, it's broken down so rapidly into it's non-toxic components that it wouldn't matter.

Really, if you're worried about MSG and aspartame, you should be avoiding tomatoes too, because they contain more glutamates per weight than any food containing approved levels of MSG and more aspartic acid/phenylalanine/methanol per weight than any food containing approved levels of aspartame.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
None of the things mentioned so far are actually directly linked with anxiety, apart from caffeine whose effects differ from person to person anyway, being anxiolytic for some and anxiogenic for others.

MSG hasn't been found to cause any more side-effects than other glutamates in those susceptible to them.

Aspartame contains nothing more than two compounds that are found in almost every type of food, bonded in a way that produces an insignificant amount of methanol (less than a glass of any fruit juice) when ingested. Even if the complete structure had some kind of carcinogenic effect, it's broken down so rapidly into it's non-toxic components that it wouldn't matter.

Really, if you're worried about MSG and aspartame, you should be avoiding tomatoes too, because they contain more glutamates per weight than any food containing approved levels of MSG and more aspartic acid/phenylalanine/methanol per weight than any food containing approved levels of aspartame.
Listen to this man.

But still, I hear that food in general is bad for anxiety. My anxiety's always bad if I've eaten in the last three days. It must be true.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
^me too

I need to quit coffee. There's no time to quit coffee like the new year. I've just decided that's my New Years resolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My opinion is that anything that's not natural for our bodies - like any toxins in our foods or our environments - will increase our chances for having any sickness, including mental. Some people have higher chances of physical sicknesses and others mental ones like anxiety. I find that the cleaner my diet (i.e. the less processed anything I eat and the more natural foods like fresh fruits and veggies) the better my body and mind both feel.

But, to more directly answer the question, the only food I've noticed that causes anxiety within a noticeable amount of time is caffeine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some tryptamine containing foods cause anxiety such as soy sauce, terriyaki, and fermented foods. Alcohol 24 hours later. Chocolate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts