Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for my first group CBT session. It went as I expected. I spoke well and I think I hid my anxiety pretty well. A few people mentioned that they couldn't notice that I was nervous. However, after many years of practice I can keep my emotions in check long enough for it not to show on the outside (for at least a few hours). Inside, though, I was a mess. I was so self-conscious that I could not concentrate when others were speaking about their problems. I couldn't remember names either. My brain felt like it was in a pressure cooker, for lack of a better term. I guess it was the damn adrenaline and cortisol (stress hormones) that were coursing through my body. See, this is the problem. I can only take so much. I only lasted at my last job for 4 days until I had a near nervous breakdown. My brain can't seem to take the constant pressure. It's as if parts of my brain shut down to compensate for my fear response that's going haywire. I become a zombie after just 3 to 4 hours of exposure when I am around people. Does anybody else have this problem where your brain just wears out in a short period of time in social situations? Does this affect your work or school performance? BTW, I have tried almost every type of med, with exception of an MAOI, without any inkling of success.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts