Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this day and age for your average healthy male and female. Also, do you think it differs for men and women?

20?
25?
30?
35?
40?
40+?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I started to feel embarrassed about still being a virgin at 16, because everyone seemed to be hooking up except me. Most of the prettier popular girls even lost it at 14 -15 and that seemed the norm. The cool popular boys lost it around the same time, everyone else a few years later.

Anything past 25 + is bad, 30 + oh dear.. and 40 + no chance in hell now! That's how it seems to me at least.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a close friend who is 30.. he's not been at it yet.

He's confident, happy, at ease with himself.. just a bit quiet and not at all flirty.

It'll happen

And she'll love him for it

·
Banned
173 Posts
I think it was around 24 that I really started feeling embarrassed by mine. I'll be turning 26 this month and it isn't feeling much better.

I think it has less to do with age and more to do with the people around you in life. No matter how young or old you are, if the vast majority of people in your life are regularly in relationships and doing intimate things, you might start feeling more and more depressed about not being a part of that world.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I hate putting a number on it but I guess 25. That might just be because I lost mine at 24. Ideally I think it's best lost sometime during college.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I was embarrassed about it when i was 17 and 18, but after that i didn't mind people knowing. I worry more now though. Cause I do want to experience sex before i get much older and i am afraid that it won't happen. But there just hasn't been anyone yet i would want to do that with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lost mine when I was 15, unfortunately. If I hadn't met my boyfriend, I would probably still be a virgin by now, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. We're still together, so I don't regret losing it to him, just the timing.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
If the vast majority of people in your life are regularly in relationships and doing intimate things, you might start feeling more and more depressed about not being a part of that world.
EXACTLY RIGHT. You feel more and more alienated from "Normal World" where many people are enjoying active sex lives. And doing other fun stuff.
I think it's important to lose your V-card, it's an important rite of passage into adulthood to me. If regular positive emotional and spiritual and mental contact with other people is necessary for one's personal growth and development, then so is the physical. The total being. We are sexual beings after all, biologically programmed for it.

I'm thinking ideally no later than 21, which is about the end of adolescence, when you are fully grown.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Peer pressure to lose the v-card and ridicule for still having it starts to get heavy around the age of 17-18 for both sexes, at least in Western society. I'd say that's the age when most begin to feel ashamed of their sexual inexperience, assuming they actually want to gain experience and aren't choosing to remain celibate for religious or sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm already embarrassed at 23. I wasn't that fussed till family members started mocking me about it when I was about 20. Hilarious times.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I would say two people only know, my ex and my best friend! But really I am not embarrassed it's never come up and no one needed to know (apart from my ex). The other day a friend of mine from college was talking about pregnancy tests and I said I had never done one, she was shocked that I never had a scare lol I didn't say anything.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm already embarrassed at 23. I wasn't that fussed till family members started mocking me about it when I was about 20. Hilarious times.
Men would usually get stick about it by their friends, but I'm very surprised someone would have a go at a girl about it. I mean, if I was, say, a 30 yo female virgin I would feel uncomfortable about the fact, but I wouldn't expect to be openly mocked about it.

What did say to you, out of curiosity? Do girls get a lot of peer pressure about this from other girls?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Men would usually get stick about it by their friends, but I'm very surprised someone would have a go at a girl about it. I mean, if I was, say, a 30 yo female virgin I would feel uncomfortable about the fact, but I wouldn't expect to be openly mocked about it.

What did say to you, out of curiosity? Do girls get a lot of peer pressure about this from other girls?
Well, none of my friends / peer group have ever mocked me. A friend of mine once told her boyfriend that i had never been in a relationship while I was standing right there, and he was like "aww, it'll happen". Sort of embarrassing, but not mocking.

The one person that has mocked me the most was my cousin. She's an extreme extrovert, quite promiscuous and not shy to tell everyone about it. She also has some mental health issues. A few years ago she had a habit of constantly loudly asking me at family gatherings "so, have you had sex yet?!" She also used to do this to other young relatives of mine, till they started to say "yes", and she got bored.
The worst time was when she started chanting "[my name] is a VIRGIN" till I tried to slap her. I think that was christmas or new years.
My siblings have also made fun of me once or twice, not maliciously. though.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Usually, people get embarrassed about ti once they hit 20. I'll probably be a 25 year old virgin and I still wont give a ****.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm almost 19 and I'm kind of embarrassed about it now, but not much I guess. Any later than 24 will be really difficult for me to deal with.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts